Thinking of buying 2.5 TL..

The boss has offered to get me a 96 or so lexus es300. I've driven his and I don't like it much, it feels lazy, the suspension's soft, pedals are too soft, steering is setup for an old lady. I've noticed that the 96-98 acura TLs run in about the same price range. I like the thought of driving an acura better; every acura I've driven has had a very sporty feel to it, which I like. The question is, are the 2.5L 5cyl engines any good? What kind of long term reliability should I expect from one? What should I look for when buying a used one with 100k on the clock? I read something here about trans problems on newer TLs, does this effect the older 2.5s?

many thanks in advance

- Nate

90 volvo 745 16v 170k, maybe an acura to come soon...

you are correct, only the 2nd generation...im not sure about the years but i think its 99-01 that has tranny issues. the are good sides and bad sides to the 1st gen TL's.

first of all, there are 2 1st gen TLs....2.5 and 3.2. just as you stated, 2.5 are 5 bangers and 3.2 are 6. there are hardly any aftermarket parts for the 1st gen tl's. the good thing about the 1st gen is that its 100% built in japan whereas the 2nd gens were built in the US. there are PLENTY of aftermarket goodies for the 2nd gen though. if i were you, id get the 2.5.. btw the 2 1st gens, there are a bit more aftermarket parts for the 2.5 than 3.2s.

to answer your question about the tranny issue on the 2.5, there is no tranny issue at all on the 1st gens.

if you have any more questions about the 2.5, ask me! i'll be glad to help

What kiind of long term reliability can I expect from a 97 w/ 100k? How much are common parts for a car that age; alternator, starter, maintenance items, plug wires, wheal behrings, etc...? It's going to be a company car with 50k of hwy miles per year put on it.

Ok, was hoping that you'd answer this and I wouldn't have to ask; FWD or RWD? They mount the engine as if it's RWD, but that's not acura's style to build a RWD car.

Did they make any in a stick? :)

What's a good online parts source?

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

- Nate

Archived