Engine mount bolt problems

climber55811

I am having a problem with the two bolts on the engine mount at the cam shaft on my 1996 Civic CX (3dr hatchback).

I am trying to replace the drive belts, and the engine mount at the cam shaft must be undone to replace the bottom belt.

When I tried to remove either bolt, it initially started loosening, but then after a few rotations, the bolt only spins. (probably the bolt threads that were exposed above the nut were junked up and bound up in the bolt).

On both of the bolts, it appears that the nut that receives the bolt has broken free. The challenge is that the nut is hidden in a box frame section and cannot be reached. I read somewhere that the nuts were likely tack welding in place and the weld probably broke.

I am thinking I will need to drill/cut a hole into this box section so I can get a wrench/socket on the nut to free the bolt. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

i had the same problem. when you try to remove the bolt apply a lot of downward force so that the nut is pressed against the inside of the box frame. try your best to get itout. if you cant do that then yes ou will be cutting it open. becuase youll still need to weld a nut back in

i had the same problem. when you try to remove the bolt apply a lot of downward force so that the nut is pressed against the inside of the box frame. try your best to get itout. if you cant do that then yes ou will be cutting it open. becuase youll still need to weld a nut back in

The whole "apply force in the opposite direction" is good in theory, but much harder to execute on a car with corroded bolts. Oh well.

I'm not going to go through the trouble to have the nut welded back in place since I will have access to it after my "excavation." Of course, I'm hoping I don't have to change the belts before it dies (this car has about 200k miles on it).

Actually, the bolts I am working on are for the camshaft dampener, not the engine mount (bad term use by me).

Update: I made an access hole for the bolt closer to the front by drilling/dremeling an opening large enough for a socket with extension. This bolt is now out.

The bolt closer to the firewall is more challenging as it is under the engine mount bracket and there appears to be second parallel piece of steel inside the box cavity that was not above the front bolt. Still formulating a plan for this one.

Archived