2 tach meters - 2 cars - 2 dif speeds -

mat420

just drove the lancer again tonight, dont really understand cars but, to get the speed i like 0-60 (at stop lights) the tachometer almost goes up to 5 (would that be beating on the engine if i drove like that all the time? 5 seemed high)

then with the 2001 civic i feel like i have to push it a little hard to get to 5, although it does seem to go as quick MAYBE when i force it there (the lancer seems easier to force to it tho)

sounds like im beating on the car if i get to 5 on the tach with the civic, the lancer i would have to check again i dont thnik it did as bad tho, if at all.does any of this matter? i like the speed of the lancer from 0-60 and not the civic, the 2003 lancer vs the 20-1 civic apparently the lancer has better throttle response, thats what im trying to figure out for sure by watching the Tach as it gets to the speed i often rush to (60).

someone said they might just have better throttle response than the 01 civic

could that be why it sounds like the lancer is handling me pushing it to 5 more well than pushing the civics tach to 5? and still maybe not even getting the same speed?

thanks so much all

This post makes no sense.

First: You cannot directly compare engine revolutions of two different makes and models of cars like for like. Every part of the drivetrain is different so the engines will run at different rpms and be in diffferent gears to achieve the same net land speed.

Second: Stating you ran a car to 5k rpm is meaningless information. This information becomes relevant once you know what the redline (fuel cutout) is, and where the powerband and peak output occur for that particular vehicle.

From your post I gather you want to drive the fastest car of the two. For your purposes, since you state you do not know cars, then I think a little Car and Driver magazine (or similar) is in order. Or just open google and type in the specific make, model and year of your car and the word 'specs' into the search and read up on what the factory specs were. Horsepower, 0-60 and other performance specs are usually listed and you can get a side by side comparison in numbers of which is the more capable vehicle.

thats the whole problem tho, the civic is faster 0-60 when stomped supposedly

but im not stomping anything, im mostly yor everyday driver just looking or the car that feels quick when u leave a red light or wanna let loose

im rly stressing over this because i want to pick what car to keep already  but im not getting anywhere. would more information help?

i just wish my baby honda would accel the same  way the lancer does :( thats ll i want :(

I don't get why you are stressing. It's just a car. Pick the one you like and go with it.

Me: my civic doesn't even produce power until it hits 5k rpm. 5-6500 is the peak power range on my car. When I get on it the goal is to not let it go below 4k rpm, otherwise it goes from slow to horrifyingly slow.

sorry i took an ambien last night it had me kind of um, off.

im stressing it because i like to enjoy the car i drive and I dont really enjoy the cars I drive anymore because I compare them to that lancer.

the lancer is actually FUN to drive because of the quick acceleration.

i wanna just switch to the lancer but its kinda ugly...i see by you're "vehicles" we dont exactly have the same idea when it comes to cars...and probably a lot of other things :p

i drive to school everyday and it sucks, so id like to enjoy the ride a bit more

Depending on the model of civic you are driving your power band is going to be in the 4000-6000 rpm range or higher (depending on model). If you are looking for the civic to be quick you will need to drive it in the range it peaks at - which means drive it like it's stolen.

eh maybe i better get off the civic idea then :(

does that mena 4-6 on the tach? i dont understand this stuff.

if i drove like that everytime a light turned green id be "beating" on the engine and attracting attention to myself :/

You would certainly attract attention.

This is the reason why honda cars are so economical to drive for most people. On paper they have a moderate power output to draw people in, but in reality that power is only available in the highest rpm range. Most sane people are afraid to drive in such a fashion to take advantage of the true power output of the car. So what you end up with is a car that is being driven daily in a functioning range that produces much less power then advertised but achieves greater fuel efficiency.

Your lancer likely isn't much more powerful then the civic when comparing numbers, but due to gearing and engine design the power it produces is achieved at a lower speed. Thus the car feels more powerful when starting from a stop light under average driving conditions. The sacrifice is that the lancer should have a noticably lower fuel mileage even though the technical numbers indicate that the engines are very similar.

Would the EPA estimated be lower too you think? Can I go by that with what you're saying? If this is the case, what you're saying...what exactly would I search for if I wanted to look for cars with the same quickness (the type of quickness I'm looking for :p), or is it too technical? Like if I were to ever pick up an expensive car I'd want to know that its not only got what I want in the Lancer, but more. Is the only way to know (due to how technical it...at least sounds) to test drive it? I'm not sure I said it in this thread but another car (and only other one that comes to mind) that i LOVED for probably the same exact reason was the 2007 Toyota (ew) Solara.

Long qustion short, is there a certain way i can search for cars with what Im looking for? I thought searching by 0-60 times was enough until I was introduced to HondaForums.

Thanks so much for all ur help by the way. I patiently await your response :)

Not to be an ass, but I think you need to take a course on automotive basics to help you get started.

How do you find a car you are looking for? Just go drive them and pick what you like.

Ive driven alot of cars and liek I just said, only two of them have been what I like (and thats only the speed...they were both ugly).  At this rate id have to drive about 15-30 cars or just go and spend 10k + on a car in order to find one I like.  This is the reason I just asked the question I did. "cars with the best low end torque"

was looking for something along those lines, just dont know how else to word it.

Not to be an ass, but I think you need to take a course on automotive basics to help you get started.

How do you find a car you are looking for? Just go drive them and pick what you like.

and thats perfectly fine but any ideas on what i can search besides "low end torque" ?

gonna try my search idea see what i come up with

sorry buggin everyone with stupid *** questions but this is buggin me and idk crap about cars ;/

i wouldnt care so much at the moment really but if im hookin up my sub n speakers and everything in the car i wanna be sure im keepin itt awhile

Archived