89 CRX Si - failed timing belt

javelina

My son was driving his car when his engine cut out. We got the car home, and after a few checks determined the timing belt had failed.

It's an 89 Si, with the SOHC engine. We put on a new belt, got all the marks lined up per the shop manual. TDC's for the both the cam and crank pully. When cranking it over, it sounds a little different (per my son). Maybe spinning a bit more freely? Not sure, It's not my daily driver, so I wouldn't know. But it won't start up.

The SOHC is an interference engine? it munched some of the valves maybe? The new belt is on tight, and when I spin the engine over, and line up the TDC on the crank, the cam TDC looks like it's lined up too.

I'll end up doing a compression check I guess. (Need to pickup a gauge somewhere).

I had googled looking up other Si timing belt failures. And came across some guys that had luck with just putting on a new belt, (no valve loss). Was hoping that would be the case here too.

If we have to pull the head, what's the general rate a shop would charge to repair it? It's a JDM engine we dropped in it a while back.

TIA,

-jav

My son was driving his car when his engine cut out. We got the car home, and after a few checks determined the timing belt had failed.

It's an 89 Si, with the SOHC engine. We put on a new belt, got all the marks lined up per the shop manual. TDC's for the both the cam and crank pully. When cranking it over, it sounds a little different (per my son). Maybe spinning a bit more freely? Not sure, It's not my daily driver, so I wouldn't know. But it won't start up.

The SOHC is an interference engine? it munched some of the valves maybe? The new belt is on tight, and when I spin the engine over, and line up the TDC on the crank, the cam TDC looks like it's lined up too.

I'll end up doing a compression check I guess. (Need to pickup a gauge somewhere).

I had googled looking up other Si timing belt failures. And came across some guys that had luck with just putting on a new belt, (no valve loss). Was hoping that would be the case here too.

If we have to pull the head, what's the general rate a shop would charge to repair it? It's a JDM engine we dropped in it a while back.

TIA,

-jav

That is most likely correct! >_< Amount of damage is dependent upon RPMS motor was turning at time belt failed! Also how quickly you were able to stop?? Valves are most likely bent, and possibly pistons are damaged! :( Sorry to see\hear this. If bottom end is not damaged then cost is not horrible to repair head, and can be done yourself for cheap. How ever if bottom end is damaged and you are looking at shop to repair, I say get another JDM replacement engine. I would also advise replacing timing belt on said new engine before installing!!!!

That is most likely correct! >_< Amount of damage is dependent upon RPMS motor was turning at time belt failed! Also how quickly you were able to stop?? Valves are most likely bent, and possibly pistons are damaged! :( Sorry to see\hear this. If bottom end is not damaged then cost is not horrible to repair head, and can be done yourself for cheap. How ever if bottom end is damaged and you are looking at shop to repair, I say get another JDM replacement engine. I would also advise replacing timing belt on said new engine before installing!!!!

thanks for the input. As you note, another JDM would be cheaper way to go. 10-4 on that swapping out the belt before installing.

thanks for the input. As you note, another JDM would be cheaper way to go. 10-4 on that swapping out the belt before installing.

Most people dont, and probably most dont have any issues, but as in your case it is cheap insurance! :thumbsup: I would think you can leave the tensioner, and water pump and replace those if you have the car still when the motor reaches 80,000 miles then do complete timing service

Archived