Car shuts off as soon as any lights are turned on

cummings1017

I have a 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback. I turn on the headlights car shuts off, brake lights come on car shuts off, reverse lights come on car shuts off, interior lights come on car shuts off. I tested the relays by switching them around under the hood. Nothing changes. What the hell is wrong. Ive called every mechanic ive ever known and no one has an answer for me. Help!

that's one i haven't heard. it seems like turning on any lights saps all the juice and kills spark, but unless your car has almost no battery and the alternator is toast i don't see that happening, and you would have more signs if those two where bad.

I actually had a problem like this one time on my impreza, it was a ground. Specifically the main ground that is supposed to be gounded to the block. Idk if you have any trouble getting it started (that would mean it was the same problem that I had), but it sure sounds like the charging system.

I've got a similar problem in my crx. It's not shutting off but starts missing terrible and sounds feels like it want to cut off. I can rev up a bit and stops it's weird can't figure it out.

Archived