Swap?

substance

For some reason or another the engine on my 2000 Civic EX went out so I'm going to have to get a new one (pronto). I was looking into getting a bigger better engine since i'm going to be needing a new one anyway, thats where i came accros this "engine swapping". From the looks of it, the b16 will prob be the easiest/cheapest choice. If i decide to get this i have a couple questions:

1.Where do i locate/buy this engine from? Do i get it new or used?

2.If i do get this engine, will i have to update any of my other components?

3. Will my old mods work with my new engine? (CAI/headers)

4. How much does it run all together? (buying, putting together)

5. Turbocharging? I've herd if you do this it will lower the life expectancy(sp?) on your car. Oh and does turbocharging give it that little "pssst" noise? or is that supercharging?

Also i plan on getting a new exaust in the near future so is there a brand highly recommended for the new engine?

Any suggestion will be appreciated ;]

3-2000-Civic-sig.jpg

First, might I suggest you go with a B18, its an integra motor but it bolts on into your car, about 2700+ for that motor.

1. There are tons of places to find them, Importbuilders has closed so I suggest you go to osakajdmmotors.com for a cheap motor...

2. You will need to update your ECU and your car won't be able to be smogged.

3. sell it on ebay

4. well the B16 will run you about 1900 and then installation and any other problems I would suggest you get about 3000+ ready just to be on the safe side

5. You can turbo it but it does lower the life of the motor, I don't know much about what you can run the turbo at with a B16 but I'm sure someone here does. That sound is from the blow off valve for the turbo.

I will admit my knowledge is still limited but I just felt like posting(stuck at work and bored)... I'm sure someone else here will post with more info that's better then mine :D

How did you break a honda motor?

First, might I suggest you go with a B18, its an integra motor but it bolts on into your car, about 2700+ for that motor.

1. There are tons of places to find them, Importbuilders has closed so I suggest you go to osakajdmmotors.com for a cheap motor...

2. You will need to update your ECU and your car won't be able to be smogged.

3. sell it on ebay

4. well the B16 will run you about 1900 and then installation and any other problems I would suggest you get about 3000+ ready just to be on the safe side

5. You can turbo it but it does lower the life of the motor, I don't know much about what you can run the turbo at with a B16 but I'm sure someone here does. That sound is from the blow off valve for the turbo.

I will admit my knowledge is still limited but I just felt like posting(stuck at work and bored)... I'm sure someone else here will post with more info that's better then mine :D

How did you break a honda motor?

1. This would be a good engine for you.

2. DO NOT GO TO OSAKA. LOADS OF BURNED AND FLOODED ENGINES FROM THERE. Go to hmotorsonline.com

3. If you want that pssst sound, then you need a BOV.

1. You can go to Osaka. They're fine. I have an account with them and I've ordered many motors and they've all been just fine. If they were all trash they'd be shut down by now and have crap loads of law suits. Don't listen to that kid!

2. a GSR motor from Osaka is 2700 shipped and that comes with everything you need. Trans, all wires, a/c, everything. That is well worth it.

3. What do you want to know about turbo Si motors?? I used to have one before I swapped in a GSR motor.....

You can go to Osaka. They're fine. I have an account with them and I've ordered many motors and they've all been just fine.

i don't believe you. lets see some external and internal pics.

If they were all trash they'd be shut down by now and have crap loads of law suits.

they do.

a GSR motor from Osaka is 2700 shipped and that comes with everything you need. Trans, all wires, a/c, everything. That is well worth it.

thats pretty expensive for a motor that spits out black, white, and blue smoke at the same time.

1. Fire damage

2. Broken crank pulley

3. Missing and broken parts

4. Broken gauge cluster

5. Honda-Tech search with 3 pages of bad feedback and a few good feedbacks.

6. This is seriously making me think you don't own a shop even more than I used to think.

Osaka = Osucka

For one I really don't give a fawk about what a 15 year old fawk thinks about me. Two five people out of who knows how many people that have ordered....

I know about 7 people that ordered various different motors from them and they've all been just fine. When I have a problem with them then I'll stop ordereing and tell other people not too as well. I see pictures and all but I really don't believe too much of what I read on forums. I mean after all you went from haveing an S2000 and getting a 40,000 dollar paint job to having five different 1980's hondas that don't even run..... So like I said, I'll trust what I see and people that I know aren't full of crap!!!

I just emailed them. I'll see what they have to say about these claims.....

• 2 weeks later...

whoever said get a b18 that is the best thing to do, later on u can do lsvtec and just buy a b16 long block and throw the head on, it is cheaper to buy the motor and easier because you dont have to worry about all the vtec solonoid and stuff. pluss the head is fully assembled. a b16 holds boost like a water baloon holds water while hitting a ton of spikes. aka. it doesnt hold boost for n e thing. never seen a boosted b16 not built hold boost for more then a few monts. my ls before my lsvtec held 15 lbs all day. that is my suggestion, start with a b18b1 integra ls motor and go from there, u can boost it like crazy too.

Quit talking out of your ass. A B16A can hold a respective amount of boost until the engine needs a rebuild. You won't blow it just from running 13-15psi all day for the rest of it's life.

Aww. Thanks for your concern. However, nobody I know's ever had a problem with their motor from them. They did email me back and said that if for some reason anyone ever did to call them and they would send a new one. I'll be sure to let you know if any of my classier than you customers have any problems!!

As for parts if you swapped in a b16, you won't be able to use your same parts on your SOHC motor, differen't throttle body sizes for intakes. But, since they made the Si in 2000 for the coupe, your in luck. You can buy bolt on parts without a poblem, instead of having to custom makes intakes etc....to fit around your engine bay.

As for parts if you swapped in a b16, you won't be able to use your same parts on your SOHC motor, differen't throttle body sizes for intakes. But, since they made the Si in 2000 for the coupe, your in luck. You can buy bolt on parts without a poblem, instead of having to custom makes intakes etc....to fit around your engine bay.

1. Of course you can't mix B and D series parts (without fabrication).

2. Once you swap an engine, you buy parts for that engine.

In regards, obviously you buy parts for an engine, however, because CAI are made to go around things inside the engine bay, a CAI meant for a prelude motor would not me a direct bolt on part in the civic engine bay because things are positioned different. So if you buy a b16 for the 99-00 bolt on parts will be found because they were designed for the si model, and fabricating CAI would not be necessary, things like that is what I meant.

In regards, obviously you buy parts for an engine, however, because CAI are made to go around things inside the engine bay, a CAI meant for a prelude motor would not me a direct bolt on part in the civic engine bay because things are positioned different. So if you buy a b16 for the 99-00 bolt on parts will be found because they were designed for the si model, and fabricating CAI would not be necessary, things like that is what I meant.

I figured that much.

Archived