over heating when going up hill and wen i go over 70mph

solysfams_ek

hey guys... im new to the forums :D ... i just bought a 95 civic i believe its a 1.6liter v-tec. went to pick it up today it took me 2 hours to get there but 6 hours to cum back home because it kept over heating when i would go up a hill on the freeway. so i pulled over to check the water of course checked it befor buying it... water looked clear at the dealer but when it over heated poped the cap and the water was really brown... so stoped at a gas station got some antifreez started driving again 30mins later saw that the temp was going up again pulled over checked the water... water was fine then i thought maybe the thermal stat. so on my way i stopped at a auto zone and bought one. waited till the car cooled down then when i was replacing it i notice that the one that was on the car was cut... so really it didnt have one... so after i put the new one drove it for another 30mins saw that the temp went up again but this time no up hill just when i stayed at 70mph. so i kept it at 60 temp went down stayed down till i went up another hill and over heated again.... so after pulling over many times i finally got home... so my question is... could it be the headgasket??? theirs no white smoke no water on the dipped stick runs fine till i go over 70mph then takes forever to get to 80mph. i dont really feel or hear the v-tec... could it be the ecu??? any suggestions? i would really appriciate it thanks

e-fans? Ionno. My sr20det had the same problems. the clutch fan would keep it going, but the dual e-fans wouldn't keep up on the highway.

I doubt that's the problem, but it's all i've got. Bleed your system of air. Make sure there aren't any air pockets anywhere.

e-fans? Ionno. My sr20det had the same problems. the clutch fan would keep it going, but the dual e-fans wouldn't keep up on the highway.

I doubt that's the problem, but it's all i've got. Bleed your system of air. Make sure there aren't any air pockets anywhere.

thanks shane i will try that ASAP!

thanks shane i will try that ASAP!

thanks shane i think i got rid of all the air pockets... it still over heated but this time it took long. i drove it on the freeway it seems like it fixd the v-tec... now i can feel it kick in i dont understand how it fixed that isnt the v-tech controlled by the oil pressure???

i borrowed my friends fan in it still did the same thing so i no its not the fan unless my friends is messed up too.. lol..

so now my question is should i just change the head gasket??? or is there any other things you guys think i should check be for i start taking of the head???

thanks shane i think i got rid of all the air pockets... it still over heated but this time it took long. i drove it on the freeway it seems like it fixd the v-tec... now i can feel it kick in i dont understand how it fixed that isnt the v-tech controlled by the oil pressure???

i borrowed my friends fan in it still did the same thing so i no its not the fan unless my friends is messed up too.. lol..

so now my question is should i just change the head gasket??? or is there any other things you guys think i should check be for i start taking of the head???

How many miles is on motor? Has water pump ever been changed? Obviously previous owner had same issue and thats why he circumvented the t-stat! I would be leaning towards water pump possibly? Replacing head gasket will accomplish nothing.

How many miles is on motor? Has water pump ever been changed? Obviously previous owner had same issue and thats why he circumvented the t-stat! I would be leaning towards water pump possibly? Replacing head gasket will accomplish nothing.

Also is the radiator original? I assume you were saying water was clear before when you checked at dealer and now is like pea soup? Possible blockage in radiator? Though it would have to be some serious blockage!

Also is the radiator original? I assume you were saying water was clear before when you checked at dealer and now is like pea soup? Possible blockage in radiator? Though it would have to be some serious blockage!

it has 187,xxx miles... the water pump doesnt look like its been touched but if the water pump would be messed up wouldnt i be able to tell in the radiator when the car would be warm??? you can tell if the water doesnt look like it moves... right??? the radiator looks new.

Archived