h22 motor

hmooblis

i'm thinking of building h22a motor. this project will take years. my goal to to run 14 psi. with 75 shot of nos. i understand the h22a motor was built for high compression and lowering it will be a problem. i've heard of replaceing the sleeves also. their is also another problem... the motor wasn't built to boost.. something about the bore size( 2.2 instead of 1.8) please help to solve this problems?

if it's to much of a proplem then i will buy a b16... build it with aftermarket b18 bottom end, then turbo it.

the ls/vtec thing should only be done be pros. you have to tackle many problems like replaceing the heads and oil needs?

I'm honestly not sure of what the details are as to why but I know that the H22a is one of the biggest boost un-friendly motors produced by Honda. There's is a claimed average of 65% failure rate when you boost one of those motors. When I say failure I mean they sustain some pretty heavy motor damage. Your best with one of those motors is to just build the crap out of it. Get all the hardcore internals you can get your hands on and just build the crap out of it.

The real question lies in what do you want to do with the car??

i'm thinking of building h22a motor. this project will take years. my goal to to run 14 psi. with 75 shot of nos. i understand the h22a motor was built for high compression and lowering it will be a problem. i've heard of replaceing the sleeves also. their is also another problem... the motor wasn't built to boost.. something about the bore size( 2.2 instead of 1.8) please help to solve this problems?

if it's to much of a proplem then i will buy a b16... build it with aftermarket b18 bottom end, then turbo it.

the ls/vtec thing should only be done be pros. you have to tackle many problems like replaceing the heads and oil needs?

1. Engines fail because poor quality parts were used, they were assembl wrong, and they were abused beyond their limit.

2. If it's going to take years, just save up for K20A.

3. Bore size doesn't have anything to do with it.

4. Lowering the CR isn't a problem, just requires new LC pistons.

5. The sleeves should be able to handle 14psi but don't quote me on that.

6. LS/VTEC's can be done by anyone. If assembled properly and the quality parts are used, they will be reliable as any other B series (this changes with CR, tuning, and abusing it).

7. The head is not a problem. Get head, put head on using quality head studs.

8. Oil is nota problem. VTEC oil pump, oil plumbing kit, trip to the machine shop if you're not handy.

9. Build it right and it will won't break unless you abuse it.

• 1 month later...
Good strategy on the building. But the the Frankenstein (ls/vtec) motor doesn't have the oil squiters on the bottom of the pistons like the B-series Vtec cousins do because of the LS block, so high revving isn't as favorable.

Yah the h22 ain't a good idea.

1. Oil squirters are not required. Plenty of people have high power LS/B20/VTEC engines with no squirters. If you want them, they are not very expensive.

2. There is nothing wrong with building an H22. Only downside is the weight.

Well I didn't know you could buy them, and install them, thanks for the headsup on that. But I've never heard of people doing it. And I agree you can make plenty of low end power, I was just talking about the revving issue since Vtec doesn't come in unitl 5500 RPM on average, depending on the setup, but you get the idea, hi revveing when things tend to heatup and break.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of illogical things done before...big wings, etc...doesn't necessarily make them correct.

Engineering behind VTEC is meant for a high revving engine in order to turn the large lobe, lowering your vtec point will not result in better power because of the large lobe being involved, it'll lug. VTEC is just a mechanism that gives smaller engines, and daily driven engines, the opportunity to use the large lobed cam profiles. It gives you the better gas mileage and easier drivability with the smaller lobe, and mad power in the top end for those who don't care about the gas mileage and engine strain, but its always there. :D

Archived