help with an 83 please:)

Paully's5.0

Hey guys, I am hoping you can help me out with a problem with a relatives 83 prelude. The car has about 170,000 miles on it, and last night driving home the engine kept cutting in and out. We'd be crusing down the freeway and the rpms would be steady, then drop to zero, engine would cut, then two seconds later the rpms are up and the engine is running. This did this about 5 times before we came to a light and the car died. Took me 15 min to get running again, and we got it to the nearest gas station and finally towed home.

So what do you guys think? The car lights never flickerd, and the car always had juice to restart, so I don't think it's a batt/alt problem. I do think it has to be somewhere in the coil/ignition system. The car was either dead or alive, so it had to have been losing spark, we didn't lose any running accesories, all interior lights and radion never missed a beat. Is there a common problem like this? What wires should I check? I know it's an electrical problem, just chasing it down will be hard. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, Don't worry i had the same problems. What u should do is get a new distributer. This is the problem, and it cost abit, but it'll run heaps good again.

I love preludes, although try to stick with the newer ones, cause the old ones are unrelieble like mine...

Cya mate...

• 2 weeks later...

Mabey you have a loose or coroded wire somewhere you might want to look around in the engine compartment. you especialy might want to check the wires to your fuel pump and your fuel injectors. also check for a broken spark plug wire or coil wire. ive had a problem like yours but it was on a newer jeep

Archived