Sputtering at times

jermnc77

The CRX started sputtering the other day on the way to work. It had a real hard time getting all the way up to 60 mph and then all of the sudden, it went back to running fine.

It did the same on the way home, and then it just ran fine again.

My initial thoughts were air filter and fuel filter. Now I've replaced both and it's still doing it.

Any suggestions?

I have no real clue. I was thinking of spark plugs and wires, rotor cap, etc.... but I have not done that yet. It seems to do it when the gas pedal is being pushed down steadily. But it doesn't do it every time.

So, besides plugs, wires and cap, what else do you suggest/think it could be?

K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid!

I should have used that motto. I just jumped the gun and assumed it was something worse than a simple tune up. Turned out that the spark plug wires were not properly seated onto the plugs! They were just laying in the holes!

I did go ahead and buy new wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor button. But so far, I've only installed the wires. That took care of the problem all in itself. But I plan on going forward with swapping out everthing listed above.

Also found out today that I'm going to need new rotors and front brakes. I plan on doing that repair myself.

Any tips I should know of before I go forward?

K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid!

I should have used that motto. I just jumped the gun and assumed it was something worse than a simple tune up. Turned out that the spark plug wires were not properly seated onto the plugs! They were just laying in the holes!

I did go ahead and buy new wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor button. But so far, I've only installed the wires. That took care of the problem all in itself. But I plan on going forward with swapping out everthing listed above.

Also found out today that I'm going to need new rotors and front brakes. I plan on doing that repair myself.

Any tips I should know of before I go forward?

Brakes are a pretty straightforward procedure. If you do them right, you won't even have to bleed them afterwards.

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate your help and suggestions to my mechanical probs!

So, I went ahead and done a complete tune up on the CRX and the car is running great! I may end up putting on a new master cylinder, but at this moment, it may not be necessary. (still need to bleed the brakes in correct order)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing else will need work for a long time! Thanks again guys!

I forgot to mention.... about those brakes..... I took off the rotor and took it to Auto Zone and had them measure it. I was still within tolerance! Pep boys told me it was shot and needed to be replaced.

I did notice some hot spots and glazing on the rotor. So while I was at AZ, I purchased a sand block and used it. I think the brake pads that were on the car were cheap. The newer ones are a harder composite are ones that are recommended.'

The sanding did take off the glazing and hot spots. So now the front brakes feel great!

Archived