Help me with basic mods please guys!

Clippersfan86

Yesterday i bought an 02 civic Ex couple with 130k miles for 9k after taxes. It's in fabulous condition but to my surprise i popped the hood and noticed a big AEM short ram intake. I also noticed it came with a Magnaflow exhaust (Deep, sexy rumble), and a short throw shifter. Point is now that the previous owner did the basic mods... I'm wondering what to do next. I'm looking at Headers,Computer chipping and Cams. Any thoughts? I have a full warranty.. so I can't do any boost it has to be N/A. I'm looking for the most affordable big upgrades. I know the D17A motor isn't great but it's a DOHC V-tec.. so I'm sure it's possible. How much HP you guys think Headers will add if i already have a SRI and Exhaust? I'm just wanting to get to 5-7 second 0-60... Doesn't need to be an insane racecar... 200-250 HP would be nice.

Yesterday i bought an 02 civic Ex couple with 130k miles for 9k after taxes. It's in fabulous condition but to my surprise i popped the hood and noticed a big AEM short ram intake. I also noticed it came with a Magnaflow exhaust (Deep, sexy rumble), and a short throw shifter. Point is now that the previous owner did the basic mods... I'm wondering what to do next. I'm looking at Headers,Computer chipping and Cams. Any thoughts? I have a full warranty.. so I can't do any boost it has to be N/A. I'm looking for the most affordable big upgrades. I know the D17A motor isn't great but it's a DOHC V-tec.. so I'm sure it's possible. How much HP you guys think Headers will add if i already have a SRI and Exhaust? I'm just wanting to get to 5-7 second 0-60... Doesn't need to be an insane racecar... 200-250 HP would be nice.

You're not going to be able to do any modifications to get to 200 HP...without voiding your warranty.

You're not going to be able to do any modifications to get to 200 HP...without voiding your warranty.

Well give me some basic mods then. I asked and they said Headers won't void it. Maybe if you know how much HP headers can add that will help man.200-250 HP is my final goal.. but my warranty is only 24k miles.. after that ill do anything that wont blow my engine. I just wanna know what i can do in the meantime that can up my HP to maybe 165-170 as my short term goal. My main problem is... torque probably? I have decent freeway speeds.. it's that off the line speed that sucks balls. On the freeway Vtec gets me by

Intake, header, and exhaust are about all you can do without voiding your warranty. And for the record, your D17A2 is a SOHC VTEC.

Aww. I misread the info in manual. That means I'm pretty screwed on performance right? I don't know much about Honda's but i understand DOHC's have more potential than SOHC? Man.. that sucks lol.

Its not a DOHC motor. To get noticable power especially on a SOHC you really need boost. Trust me I got most bolt ons (NA wise) on my Del Sol DOHC VTEC and the difference is it sounds alot better for sure, and does have a bit more snap but as for actual speed and power increases its very subtle notices. Your best off just saving for boost. If you really want a powerful NA build you really need to start with a swap, and rebuilding a b16 or b18 for NA from start.

As for screwed on performance it really depends on what you mean. Your not getting 200hp out of bolt ons on a d-series. It's a pretty expensive build to get an NA b16 to 200whp. But a quick turbo setup would easily boost you into 200-225whp on your d17, my friend just did it same exact car as yours.

Its not a DOHC motor. To get noticable power especially on a SOHC you really need boost. Trust me I got most bolt ons (NA wise) on my Del Sol DOHC VTEC and the difference is it sounds alot better for sure, and does have a bit more snap but as for actual speed and power increases its very subtle notices. Your best off just saving for boost. If you really want a powerful NA build you really need to start with a swap, and rebuilding a b16 or b18 for NA from start.

I was gonna grab a WRX... but i like the way Honda drives WAY better. So my only ways are an engine swap.. or Turbo? ; \. Both voiding my warranty. What engine would swap best into an 02 ex? B16?

Aww. I misread the info in manual. That means I'm pretty screwed on performance right? I don't know much about Honda's but i understand DOHC's have more potential than SOHC? Man.. that sucks lol.

To be fair, you bought an EX not an Si. Drive it for what it was intended, and buy a project if you want a fast car.

As for screwed on performance it really depends on what you mean. Your not getting 200hp out of bolt ons on a d-series. It's a pretty expensive build to get an NA b16 to 200whp. But a quick turbo setup would easily boost you into 200-225whp on your d17, my friend just did it same exact car as yours.

I understand modding a car involves risks.. but I'm wondering which turbo set up won't frack my reliability too much. If I'm gonna run a turbo... I wanna make sure voiding the warranty Doesn't turn out to be the biggest mistake of my life.

To be fair, you bought an EX not an Si. Drive it for what it was intended, and buy a project if you want a fast car.

Was gonna pick up a vr4 twin turbo 3000gt but it was selling for 2500.. so alot must of been wrong with it. I looked at Srt-4's and stuff.. but I don't know if i can trust dodge. Maybe ill get a street bike to curb my performance desires.

I understand modding a car involves risks.. but I'm wondering which turbo set up won't frack my reliability too much. If I'm gonna run a turbo... I wanna make sure voiding the warranty Doesn't turn out to be the biggest mistake of my life.

Tuned properly a boosted motor can be as reliable as an NA one.

Tuned properly a boosted motor can be as reliable as an NA one.

Should i get a B16A swap instead though? I'm reading that will give 170 hp... and it's about same price as a turbo from what i can see. Mainly because Turbo is recommending forged engine parts and bearings and stuff.

That 170hp is not whp however. A stock b16a will make roughly 150whp. And really just asking blindly isn't going to get you anywhere. You really need to just do research and cost comparisons. This includes considering any possible labor your need, etc.

Archived