Power Steering Fluid Leak

MisterDavid

I've got a 1996 Honda Accord EX 4cyl. For the last year I've noticed that power steering fluid seems to magically leak out. What is interesting is that there is power steering fluid appearing on the hood directly above the reservoir. I can't seem to pin point how the fluid is coming out and going upwards. Its not been a major issue since I just replace the fluid but I'd like to stop it if I could. Anyone have an idea how there is enough pressure to push it up and how to stop it? Should I just replace the reservoir?

I've got a 1996 Honda Accord EX 4cyl. For the last year I've noticed that power steering fluid seems to magically leak out. What is interesting is that there is power steering fluid appearing on the hood directly above the reservoir. I can't seem to pin point how the fluid is coming out and going upwards. Its not been a major issue since I just replace the fluid but I'd like to stop it if I could. Anyone have an idea how there is enough pressure to push it up and how to stop it? Should I just replace the reservoir?

My guess is that's it's leaking somewhere in the engine bay, and finding it's way to the belts which causes it to be flung onto the hood. Most likely somewhere around your pump. I'm usually not a big fan of additives, but the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak is awesome. Says it will stop leaks in 2 bottles. My Camry got a leak, typically leaked enough to where the pump would make noise in a month or so. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 bottles, but it hasn't leaked out in almost a year now.

My guess is that's it's leaking somewhere in the engine bay, and finding it's way to the belts which causes it to be flung onto the hood. Most likely somewhere around your pump. I'm usually not a big fan of additives, but the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak is awesome. Says it will stop leaks in 2 bottles. My Camry got a leak, typically leaked enough to where the pump would make noise in a month or so. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 bottles, but it hasn't leaked out in almost a year now.

+1^^^

Very good advice. I didn't even think about the belts throwing it up onto the hood. I'll be on the look out for the leak in a place other than around the top of the reservoir. I'll also look into some stop leak additives. That pump noise is annoying! ha! Thanks!

Archived