Engine Rattle

Hello I've had my 1995 Honda Accord for eight years and it has never given me any trouble until very recently. I had it in for a standard oil change, regular 5-30w and a filter change. Now the engine has started to rattle when I am accelerating and decelerating at around 35-45 mph, and it also rattles when idle. The rattle only occurs when the engine has warmed up. The rattle is coming from the quadrant of the engine closest to the driver. It also sounds like it is coming from the bottom half, as it is very audible when listening next to the left front wheel. I have tried to isolate the noise with a mechanics stethoscope, but so far I cannot find it. If you watch the youtube video you can hear it pretty well near the end. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction of where I can try to look to find the problem. I want to take it to a mechanic, but I also don't want to have them poking around my engine where they don't need to be poking. If some more information is needed I will try to provide it as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

hmm maybe its just teh audio from the vid, but it almost sounds like your rods are knocking. what kind of oil do you use?

I don't change my oil, so I always use the conventional 5-30w at various oil lube places. Is there a good video or sound clip somewhere of some definitive rod knocking that I could listen to and compare?

I don't change my oil, so I always use the conventional 5-30w at various oil lube places. Is there a good video or sound clip somewhere of some definitive rod knocking that I could listen to and compare?

Also, could just changing my oil possibly alleviate this problem, or now that its manifested it won't go away without repair? (if it is the rods knocking)

• 2 weeks later...
Also, could just changing my oil possibly alleviate this problem, or now that its manifested it won't go away without repair? (if it is the rods knocking)

Here is a video that shows the rods knocking:

It sounds similar to your but much louder. When you accelerate does it get louder or stay the same?

Archived