SRS Light...

Staninator

Okay so I started my car this morning and the SRS light came on. This pisses me off because my airbags have never deployed or been used during the cars lifetime. I read the manual and it says that they may not be working when the light is on. Does anyone know what causes this and how much it would cost me to get it checked out?

Likely a sensor has failed and the entire system has disabled to prevent accidental discharge. First thing would be to double check all of your fuses to eliminate the most simple.

You can reset the light, but if you are not a mechanic and understand that if you jumper the wrong connector you can deploy the airbags and risk hurting or killing yourself or others as a reslut. The reset is simple but because of what I just described you are best taking it to the dealer. The first thing they will do is check the code then clear the system. If it does not come back on after test driving they will consider it an intermittent failure and the cars SRS is fine. If it comes back on they will find the source of the problem.

Yes, if you SRS light is on the cars SRS control unit should have shut off the SRS system, thus if your light is on and you are in an accident the airbags should not/will not deploy.

Hope that helps.

You can reset the light, but if you are not a mechanic and understand that if you jumper the wrong connector you can deploy the airbags and risk hurting or killing yourself or others as a reslut. The reset is simple but because of what I just described you are best taking it to the dealer. The first thing they will do is check the code then clear the system. If it does not come back on after test driving they will consider it an intermittent failure and the cars SRS is fine. If it comes back on they will find the source of the problem.

Yes, if you SRS light is on the cars SRS control unit should have shut off the SRS system, thus if your light is on and you are in an accident the airbags should not/will not deploy.

Hope that helps.

Just did that today man. I went to a guy that my dad knows who has a shop and they did the diagnostics for $45 rather than the jackass dealership for $115. They said that the seat belt switch malfunctioned or something and they gave me the code. They just turned off the SRS light for now and it hasn't come back on yet :) So I should be fine :) Thanks!

Archived