replacing alternator belt for 94 civic

el1cuban

hello all.. so i was driving last week when my battery light turned on. being that i had installed a new battery not even a month ago< i immediately suspected there was a problem with my alternator.. long behold, when i got home i popped the hood i noticed pieces of rubber everywhere and no belt on the alternator.. can anyone give me a step by step to install this new belt? do i have to take of the ps belt as well as the ac belt? please help.. i dont want to take the bus in miami, its not reliable

hello all.. so i was driving last week when my battery light turned on. being that i had installed a new battery not even a month ago< i immediately suspected there was a problem with my alternator.. long behold, when i got home i popped the hood i noticed pieces of rubber everywhere and no belt on the alternator.. can anyone give me a step by step to install this new belt? do i have to take of the ps belt as well as the ac belt? please help.. i dont want to take the bus in miami, its not reliable

I would highly recommend that you ahve a certified technician do it for you. You have to adjust it later and such I believe. Just take the bus! I took the buses in Miami and it was fine ;)

I would highly recommend that you ahve a certified technician do it for you. You have to adjust it later and such I believe. Just take the bus! I took the buses in Miami and it was fine ;)

wut?

Alternator belt is damn near the easiest thing you can repair on this generation of civic. The belt probably costs all of $12 and you can install it with one single socket. A 14mm I believe. The alternator itself is a pain in the ass to replace, but the belt is simple. One bolt secures the tensioner. Loosen that one bolt, do not remove it, and the alternator should swing forward and backward freely. Slip the new belt over the appropriate places and tighten the alternator tensioner bolt back in place. You may need someone to help you get the alternator tight enough to keep the belt from squealing. I had noone around to assist the last time I did mine, so I used a prybar under the alternator to exert extra pressure on it with one hand while I tightened with my free hand. Should take you longer to find your socket set then what it will take to put the belt on.

The only problem with all of this is if the alternator is bad. Make sure to check that the pully is freely spinning and not damaged or bad bearings. No need to install a new belt to have it fly off again after 5 minutes due to a bad alternator.

Archived