Check Engine Light ('97 Accord)

billingsley58

The Check Engine Light came on a week ago on my 1997 Accord EX. I took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed with a tranny code but not the specific transmission problem. Due to the exhorbitant prices dealers charge I declined any further service on my Accord and instead would like to have it repaired elsewhere. In the meantime I've had the oil and filter changed since it was due for one, and it seems to be shifting normally as before. I would like to know how I can have the CEL turned off to see if the oil change did the trick, though highly unlikely. Is this something I can do with an OBD or should I pay to have it done? Thanks to all...

Go to a cheap aftermarket autopart store (VIP, PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.) and have them look at the code and ask them to clear it so you can see if it is an intermittent issue or a true issue. They should do it for free.

To clear the code, pull the 7.5A Memory fuse in your engine bay fuse box for 10 seconds; your ECM and TCM codes will be cleared.

As stated above your light will return with the problem. Keep in mind, your car is running OBD-II, which runs continous diagnostics. Had the problem come and gone within a few minutes, the light would have turned itself off. Since the light has stayed on, this means the problem lasted more than a minute.

As stated above, Autozone will pull the code for you. Simply come back here and tell us what number is retreived and we will elaborate.

• 1 month later...

I know the autozones here cant clear codes but will tell you what they are if you take it up there. Another way you can clear the code is to unhook the battery for a few mins and then hook it back up. Also you can goto a place where they do vehilce inspections and they can clear codes for you too. They might charge you 5-10 bucks to do it. Make sure you have the radio code, if your running a factory stereo. Then it will cycle thru and if theres still a problem it will come back on, if it doent come back on with in a few miles then theres no problem.

1) CEL comes on, go to autozone or a place like that and borrow the OBD reader and hook it to your car's connector and read the code!

2) Take negative terminal of battery off for 5 seconds and put it back on and light will go away! Then drive the car for 25 miles to see if the code comes on!

I'm repeating, but I think this should be stickied or be in FAQ...it's a common thing...

Archived