No fuel filter!?!

polkracer

I have a 2002 accord ex 4 cylinder, and im having acceleration problems. you give it gas in gear and the car slows down. if you let of and push the pedal again it speeds up for a second and then slows down even when you push the pedal to the floor. It feels like a fuel filter problem but i have found out theres no fuel filter! I thought that every motor on this planet had a fuel filter! I crawled all over the ground, looked all over under the hood, everywhere looking for the thing! then i got smart and went to look it up in the book, also the repair manual and guess what, no mention of a fuel filter anywhere! Everywhere on the internet ive looked hasnt said a word about one. How freakin stupid! honda slipped on that one!

Actually, you slipped on that one. Don't jump to conclusions just because there isn't a mention of one, sometimes the part you "think" is bad is never intended to be replaced. There is a fuel filter, and it is part of the Pump. The reason there is no mention of it is because you have to completely dismantle the fuel pump in order to get to it, and it is extremely rare for them to go bad before the fuel pump does.

I think you'd have better luck looking into your IACV instead of jumping straight to the conclusion it is the fuel filter. It could also be a number of other things as well, but I'm betting it is a slim chance that an idle problem would be a fuel restriction problem from a clogged filter... Although anything can happen!

Could be this.

Maybe this will help too.

Incase you don't believe me, Information on the Fuel Filter.

Cleaning IACV and EGR.

This one sounds familiar...

Explanation on replacing the Fuel Filter.

I know there's a specific DIY on 6thgenaccord.com, but for some reason, I can't find it. Anyway, I reiterate, don't jump to conclusions. Sometimes the answer just isn't where you're looking.

Didn't look through all of Jeffro's links, but a common acceleration problem with older cars is a clogged catalytic converter. Sometimes a clogged converter will set off a check engine light, but not always. A clogged converter would allow normal operation some of the time, but would especially have problems under a load.

Archived