Car troubles

osgn

i'm buying my first car and its a Honda Crx Si. On Monday I went to go get it started. My friend who use to be a mechanic said that the timing belt must be broken since it was spinning to fast. Most of the parts under the hood are brand new and he said if it is the timing belt then its a steal for $600! Suprisingly Vegas had snow a bit over a month ago and the car has not been driven since and we think the cold made the belt break. It was running perfectly fine before it was parked. The owner bought a new honda and thats the only reason why hes selling this. Ive been reading through the forums on other "broken timing belts" and have been finding out some times its simpler problems.

On Saturday I will be going back there to change out the timing belt.

Could you guys offer some advice on this? What else should I change or take a look at?

I'll post pictures Sunday :D

thanks

If the engine is running at all it most likely is not the timing belt. If the belt is broken the car absolutely will not even start.

If it is the timing belt and someone was trying to start the engine then you possibly just bent a handful of valves and the head may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Yeah he tried starting the car once and it didn't start. So i'm hoping he didn't ruin the valves. My next option is to buy a junk motor with a warranty for $350. But I wont have that kind of money for a month or two.

Archived