Honda Civic EX 2001 4 door fm mod install help

Ihatecloselines

Hey everybody my first time here I am going to be installing an FM modulator in my friend honda civic EX 2001 4 door so they can use an mp3 player in their car. I have never pulled a dash on any car ever before LOL so I don't want to break anything and I am lookin for info on how to do this. Searching the web takes FOREVER cuz I've already done it and there ain't much out there lol but anyway how do I get to the back of the cd player so I can just plop positive and negative wires for fm mod and plug in antenna lead without screwing up? Oh also I am aware of the security problems with the car like don't unplug the radio EVER or lights go out and no more keyless entry atleast I know that much lol but what else do I need to know? Any help is appreciated thanx:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey wow nobody readin this post lol. I finally got a decent fm modulator to go in the car I'm still debating wether or not to use a toggle switch to turn on and off the modulator. The manufacturer says not to hook it up to a constant power source which is kinda stupid since everything in a car is hooked up to a constant power source. Anyways I'm gonna do this soon but I really need to know if I can use a power connection from somewhere else besides the radio I really don't want to plice in from the 12 volt power going to that or the cigarette lighter so what else is hangin around in there for me to use? Any help is appreciated thanks:-)

I tested the modulator today and it works fine but it won't work with a toggle switch it won't even turn on when used with a toggle switch that's so lame. So now that means that it will always be on :-( I was testing it on a radio hooked up to a bench with a power supply I still haven't been in the car yet. I will hopefully get that done tomorrow. Well anyways thanks for abolutely no help at all ppl I really appreciate it...NOT LMAO this board sucks sheesh I guess nobody wants to reply thats really lame:-(

I would help, but have no clue about the car or how the audio system works. Other than it's a pain putting in an aftermarket stereo in the Civic cause of the keyless entry thing.

honda_civic: the FM modulator works by sending out an FM signal so that you can tune into it on your car stereo. Kind of an easy way of adding a CD player, or in this case an MP3 player, to your car audio system. Kind of fun to mess around with actually...

Wow it was so easy to pop the stereo outta the dash I can't believe I was sweatin it HAHAHA... but wouldn't ya know that there was a reason for the manufacturer of the modulator stating that a constant power source can't be used... if ya leave the modulator on all the time it blocks out all the radio stations:-( So now I gotta take a trip down to radio shack and find a toggle switch that the modulator will get along with. Oh hey found something interesting while I was attempting install, I couldn't find a power wire to use and didn't want to try stripping the power wire for the stereo cuz I don't want it to ever lose power and get messed up with that anti theft crap so I used the power wire from the cigarette lighter... ya ya I know don't do that and I found out that when I used it that anything that plugged into the lighter plug would blow a fuse!!!!! So where can I get a power source anyway? All those wires back there looked like a big organized mess to me.

Mkay I went to radio shack today and picked up a mini toggle SPST (single pole single throw) switch and then came home and browsed around on the net to find out how to install it. So hopefully it will work correctly and not blow out everything in the car!!!!! From what I understand the switch that I have connects to the positive wire (power 12volt) I got this kind of switch because I wanted to keep things simple so all I have to do is connect the power wire from the cigarette lighter to one of the two pins on the switch and the power wire going to the modulator connects to the other pin on the switch. I'm still thinking that the fuse got blown in my car power adapter because of me hooking up the power wire from the modulator to the power wire of the cigarette lighter but hey theres only one way to be sure without any advice lol. For all those that might be paying attention but don't have a clue about what I am talking about, please read the first post on this thread. If I am sucessful at this I am thinking of taking some pics of what I'm doing and posting a link to them for future reference.

Archived