New timing belt, worse mileage????????

TAJ45

Had an 88 REX DX, no mods w/109K. Had since 95K. When I first got it home, replaced plugs,wires, rotor, cap, fuel & air filter, t-stat, ALL hoses, water and vacuum and had a plain jane exhaust system installed from cat back. Cat still on.

It would pull from 900, would always shift by 1900-2K. With new belt, felt a lot more power, can shift 200 sooner, pulls with no pinging (didn't ping before either). No hot rodding here as I am going for pure mileage. I commute 125 miles daily, 6-7 days per week.

Have ALWAYS recorded mileage and have averaged 46-47.5 for last 13K miles. I immediately lost 3 mpg with the t-belt change. No, not enjoying the extra power and playing in traffic.

Read the posts re broken t-belt and cranny's detailed "How To". Did the mech not quite get things 'zactly right? Would premium get it back? Considering it would cost abt 8% to run premium and it would give me abt 8% increased mileage (should it give me the 3 mpg) - looks like that would be a wash.......whatcha think?

Had an 88 REX DX, no mods w/109K. Had since 95K. When I first got it home, replaced plugs,wires, rotor, cap, fuel & air filter, t-stat, ALL hoses, water and vacuum and had a plain jane exhaust system installed from cat back. Cat still on.

It would pull from 900, would always shift by 1900-2K. With new belt, felt a lot more power, can shift 200 sooner, pulls with no pinging (didn't ping before either). No hot rodding here as I am going for pure mileage. I commute 125 miles daily, 6-7 days per week.

Have ALWAYS recorded mileage and have averaged 46-47.5 for last 13K miles. I immediately lost 3 mpg with the t-belt change. No, not enjoying the extra power and playing in traffic.

Read the posts re broken t-belt and cranny's detailed "How To". Did the mech not quite get things 'zactly right? Would premium get it back? Considering it would cost abt 8% to run premium and it would give me abt 8% increased mileage (should it give me the 3 mpg) - looks like that would be a wash.......whatcha think?

You will notice no increase running premium! :thumbsup:

Timing?

Premium fuel is for more performance engines rather than economy engines. You won't notice a difference in mileage, except for a loss of mpg.

If you replaced your timing belt, get the timing set - that's most likely your problem. Always use the fuel that your engine is rated for. If it requires 87, use 87 (if you can't find 87, use 89 if you must), but never go down in grade... and yes, some places don't sell 87 :p There's a place around where I live that sells 93, 95 (or 96) and 100...

Archived