1991 crx d16 bogging

BJ223

k i got a 1991 honda crx, i was driving, it was running at 5500 rpm's and i heard a pop, the engine light came on. it will not rev past 3500 rpm's now. i have replaced the throttle position sensor, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, plugs. and now im a stuck position on what to do now. is there any other sensors hidden some where that i do not know about. i have been told it could be a clogged cat. if any one has some suggestions it would be some help.

1991 crx d16 bogging

...the engine light came on. it will not rev past 3500 rpm's now.

This right here tells me the first thing to have checked before spending any money on anything else is the cat.

When the insides of a catalytic converter come apart it begins to block the exit portion of the cat. The material is sort of like a honeycomb. It breaks apart into chunks and wedges in the pipe. It partially restricts airflow. This is why a car will run fine at lower rpms, aka lower air flow. Once the air flow increases and actually gets bottled up at the cat blockage it increases back pressure all the way up into the engine. The exhaust gases no longer leave the combustion chamber properly because of too much pressure. Because the combustion chamber is already full of pressurized exhaust gasses there isn't anywhere for the new air/fuel being injected to go. it is at this point that the engine bogs down and you will notice a loss of power.

Two things will happen if left untreated (besides the obviously crapty running car). Since exhaust gasses are not evacuating the chamber correctly you will start to overheat. Leave it go long enough and you can warp the head, crack a piston, blah blah and all the other fun stuff internal overheating goes with. The other thing is that smaller pieces of the cat will start breaking off and clogging up your muffler and ruin it as well.

Most muffler shops will give you a free inspection if you commit to buy if there is an actual problem. Ask around. Fine one that will cut it off and inspect it for you.

When the insides of a catalytic converter come apart it begins to block the exit portion of the cat. The material is sort of like a honeycomb. It breaks apart into chunks and wedges in the pipe. It partially restricts airflow. This is why a car will run fine at lower rpms, aka lower air flow. Once the air flow increases and actually gets bottled up at the cat blockage it increases back pressure all the way up into the engine. The exhaust gases no longer leave the combustion chamber properly because of too much pressure. Because the combustion chamber is already full of pressurized exhaust gasses there isn't anywhere for the new air/fuel being injected to go. it is at this point that the engine bogs down and you will notice a loss of power.

Two things will happen if left untreated (besides the obviously crapty running car). Since exhaust gasses are not evacuating the chamber correctly you will start to overheat. Leave it go long enough and you can warp the head, crack a piston, blah blah and all the other fun stuff internal overheating goes with. The other thing is that smaller pieces of the cat will start breaking off and clogging up your muffler and ruin it as well.

Most muffler shops will give you a free inspection if you commit to buy if there is an actual problem. Ask around. Fine one that will cut it off and inspect it for you.

Hmmm.. makes sense....

I had a friend with a 1980's model Dodge Laser, this thread brought back many memories. It was late in the afternoon, we were cruising one day and I heard a loud pop and saw an orange rock fly out of his exhaust.

We couldn't figure out what it was until later that evening and the Laser started to make the same sound. After each pop, I would see a glowing orange turd lookin thing fly out of the exhaust. I had my CRX weaving to avoid what I realized where glowing hot pieces of his catalytic converter. His Laser had carburetors, so no Check Engine Light.

Sorry about the cat'.

I had a friend with a 1980's model Dodge Laser, this thread brought back many memories. It was late in the afternoon, we were cruising one day and I heard a loud pop and saw an orange rock fly out of his exhaust.

We couldn't figure out what it was until later that evening and the Laser started to make the same sound. After each pop, I would see a glowing orange turd lookin thing fly out of the exhaust. I had my CRX weaving to avoid what I realized where glowing hot pieces of his catalytic converter. His Laser had carburetors, so no Check Engine Light.

Sorry about the cat'.

James,

You should have gone back and picked up all the precious metals. That is an expensive piece of road you left out there. LOL

thanks guys for your input, i work at lordco, and i was told that it could be the cat to, i will lift the car up my self on the ground and put it on stands and cut it off, and what it looks like, i will put a reply on this forum after i take off the cat.

• 2 months later...

Archived