prime job

SNooPYjdm

well when i get my hands on sum jdm fenders for my 92 hatch im gona start to prime n prep my car myself ive had a little experience just helping friends do theres but im lookin for any pointers or help on doin this thanks

• 2 months later...

When priming I always sand all metal with two sets of laytex gloves on. You don't want any sort of moisture or any thing from your hands under the paint.(The number one cause of corrosion of paint and metal) If you don't want to do that just sand then I use a cleaning solvent of some sort just make sure it evaporates easy or let dry for an hour or so.

Then when it comes to priming. Prime using whatever you're going to use. I.E. spray gun or canned. I don't like canned spray primer it makes a mess and has a lot of orange peel to it. Spray gun it or spray can it then you'll need to wet sand. With an extremely high grit sand paper I use a 2000 grit synthetic cloth. This is the hardest thing you'll ever do is wet sanding.

You can easily sand to hard and go through the paint then have to shoot it again. Primer isn't as bad cause it's the bottom layer. I'd practice with a sheet of metal with a lot of coats and learn to get ride of runs and what's called orange peel. Which is when paint is too thick or drys to fast. It will not have a smooth finish but will look like the peel of an orange with a lot of hills and valleys.

Hope that helps. I'd do more research than just reading this I'm no pro just a weekend warrior, Priming and painting take a very keen eye for detail. So you need to look very closely. Also, don't shine light directly on the surface of what your painting it keeps your eye from seeing any imperfections. Put the going parallel to the surface or on a steep angle you'll get shadows that show you where paint is too high or too low.

Well good luck.

As far as sanding gose, just be carefull with it. a few swipes over body lines or hte wrong angle n you could mess it all up. best way is in a circle or the 45 degree. be sure get a soft and hard block and not use your finger tips. or your paint will turn out like crap not sure if walmart has that stuff but im sure you could find it at reg. auto paint.. jsut ask n throw them a few dollers. while your there ask for tips or see how much for them to sand it all down if you dont feel liek doing it. its kinda hard. i work on classics n the body lines on these things are a bitch. but yeah. need anything more just let us know.

Archived