Bouncing Idle

Big..T

Ok I am new to engines as I am usually a body repair guy but I really need some Help...

I have a Uk 98 1.4 Civic EJ Hatch

When the car is cold the idle is fine, once the car warms and the choke switches off the idle bounces from 600rpm to almost 1700rpm. I checked other posts before and tried a few things... I cleaned out the AITVso it spins open and shut ok ut this did no different. Then I got a new carb from a salvage yard with all 3 sensors on it... the car still did the same so I tried cleaning that AITV and still no joy. if I place my hand over the top of the carb it sucks like hell and stalls the car so I dont think it is a vacuum leak. If I remove the plug from the IATV it settles down to about 700rpm but runs like a bag of hammers with no power whatsoever and the fuelpump light comes on on the dash.

I am at the end of my tether now and getting desperate as I have to sit in a slow queue every day to goto work and the only way to hold it is to leave it in gear and keep it at biting point with the brakes on and I know it will end up burning out my clutch.

Any help is greatfully appreciated :crazy::crazy::crazy:

1998 1.4L carburated civic?eek7wtfsmiley.gif

I've never heard of such. Maybe it's a weird european thing. You might want to consider finding some UK based forums for help with that. Unless some one here has any experience with OBD2 carburated civic engines. (if they even use obd2 over there)

Hey, just a word of experience from me. I had a similar problem some time ago. Thought it was throttle or vaccuum or something. After hours of searching came to find out that the radiator was way low. Enough to keep from over heating but not enough to run the system and for some reason the idle started jumping from 500 to 1200 and back.

Just a thought

Idle air control valve, clean it out or get a new one; at least that is generally the problem for fuel injected Honda motors in America, not too sure about your setup. Throttle positioning sensor may cause it, but I would think it would just idle high or low more then surge. As for the anti-lock braking system someone brought up, no idea why they would say the braking system would have anything to do with the idle.

Hey, just a word of experience from me. I had a similar problem some time ago. Thought it was throttle or vaccuum or something. After hours of searching came to find out that the radiator was way low. Enough to keep from over heating but not enough to run the system and for some reason the idle started jumping from 500 to 1200 and back.

Just a thought

Coolant runs through the idle air control valve, possibly was not enough to let it function correctly.

Archived