Cleaning Front Wind Shield

Jedikid

okay for some odd reason, i can't get my front wind shield clean. When I brought the car I didn't realize it, but it looks like the guy never washed the windshield so there's a different texture from where the windshield wiper go and they don't. I also have alot of "invisble" writing on it (a night and wet window you see it alot). it's pissing me off and I've tried alot of products to try to clean it. Do ya'll have any suggestion, or should I get a new windshield.

I don't use the actual brillo pad but I occasionally use a scotch brite pad. My F-150 has the same issues. WHen the windshield wiper comes across the window it's like it pushes water into the glass and it stays there rather than swiping off.

The silicates found in road dust have etched into your windscreen. The etchings create what is called a nucleating surface on which water essentially has a "foothold", which is why the wipers seem to be unable to clean the windscreen completely. The glass can be resurfaced, but at the sacrafice of changing the index of refraction in an irregular fashion, in effect changing your windscreen into a fun house mirror. Typically the resurfacing procedure is done on vehicles with verticle windscreens that need not have a consistant thickness over the entire surface, i.e. city buses, fleet trucks, etc.

Your safest bet is to buy another windscreen.

Granted there are some products that claim to clean your glass, but these often contain dioxides that are too soft to resurface glass.

Sorry, I have the same problem, I just figured a rock will hit it eventually and I will have insurance pay for a new one.

yeah i'm spending money on my car again, new car insurance is a bitch. i'm going to try some of the stuff said. and if that no workie, look for a new windshield. but hey i again have the money for my car.

windshield

wheels

suspension

engine

paint????

insurance should give you a windshield change for no cost.

idk i'll call my sister today (she works for the insurance company i use) and ask. will see

yeah when i repainted my car mine "accidentally" got a crack in it and i got a new one for $50 from the insurance company

a trick i learned at the shop was actually to use steel wool on the windows. it seems like it would scratch it up, but try using eagle 20/20 and some steel wool

Archived