4-speed MT VS 5-speed MT in terms of fuel economy

The '91 Civic 3 door hatchback I bought recently has a 4-speed manual transmisison. Ocassionally I try to shift to a non-existent 5th gear, because all the vehicles I've ever driven were 5 speeds. I'm guessing a 4-speed transmisison is cheaper than a 5-speed one, which is maybe why they put it in the standard model.

1. Do 5-speed transmissions translate to better fuel economy (everything else being equal)?

2. Can you swap the original 4-speed transmission from a '91 Civic for a 5-speed transmission?

Thanks.

Jay

The '91 Civic 3 door hatchback I bought recently has a 4-speed manual transmisison. Ocassionally I try to shift to a non-existent 5th gear, because all the vehicles I've ever driven were 5 speeds. I'm guessing a 4-speed transmisison is cheaper than a 5-speed one, which is maybe why they put it in the standard model.

1. Do 5-speed transmissions translate to better fuel economy (everything else being equal)?

2. Can you swap the original 4-speed transmission from a '91 Civic for a 5-speed transmission?

Thanks.

Jay

hey i got a 91 civic 3 door also im not to sure about fuel consumpsoin but i do know that you can take any d sereis tranny and it bolts right up with each other as long as it cable and not hydrolic but yea you can convert it to 5 speed

you can put either a cable or a hydro 5-speed d-series tranny to your car. however if you want to use a hyrdo system you need to upgrade your current clutch system to hydro also.

Do 5-speed transmissions translate to better fuel economy (everything else being equal)?

No, the quantity of gears does not translate to fuel economy.

The size of the gears is what has the greatest influence on fuel economy. A transmission with longer gears is designed for fuel economy, whereas a transmission with shorter gears is designed for rapid acceleration.

Granted, most 5-speed Honda transmissions have shorter gears, there are a few 5-speed Honda transmissions with longer gears (usually coupled to PGM-Fi + VTEC-E Honda engines).

Archived