fuel pump question

ZX9RBART

My 90 accord ex runs out of gas at 1/8th tank...I know it is not the gauge reading incorrectly because it only takes 12 gallons to fill it up and on top of that the low fuel light never comes on. The car has 264,000 miles on it and I assume that the sock over the fuel pickup is clogged. My question is... does the tank have to be removed to get to the fuel pump? or can i get to it from under the rear seat (i know most nissans are like this).

are you saying it takes 12 gallons from the time the gas runs out? if thats true then your gauge is wrong. i'm sure the crx's only have and 11 or 12 gal tank.

Hatch 92, he is saying something is restricting the pumps ability to remove fuel from the tank when he is down to 4 gallons.

To answer the OP, yes and no. Yes, you do not have to remove the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. No, the seat doesn't come out, instead the trunk mat is moved to expose two circular metal covers. I think the one on the driver side is the fuel pump and the passenger side is the fuel sensor.

Hatch 92, he is saying something is restricting the pumps ability to remove fuel from the tank when he is down to 4 gallons.

To answer the OP, yes and no. Yes, you do not have to remove the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. No, the seat doesn't come out, instead the trunk mat is moved to expose two circular metal covers. I think the one on the driver side is the fuel pump and the passenger side is the fuel sensor.

Thank you.

thats not what i got from his post. from what i got out of his post is when it "runs out of gas" he puts 12 gallons in it. which would mean the gas gauge would be reading wrong. however if he clrrified more then yes it is possible the pump is clogged.

thats not what i got from his post. from what i got out of his post is when it "runs out of gas" he puts 12 gallons in it. which would mean the gas gauge would be reading wrong. however if he clrrified more then yes it is possible the pump is clogged.

How could i possibly make it any clearer? A car with a 16 gallon tank runs out of gas and only takes 12 gallons to fill up...the gauge shows that it is not empty (as we know there are four more gallons in there), nor does the low fuel light come on (which is read by an independent sensor from the fuel level). Oh yea...its not a crx (as stated in my post it's an accord ex), and also if the fuel pump was clogged there would be a problem no matter what the fuel level was.

Archived