92 Accord EX/Noise coming from engine compartment

micgla

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 92 Honda Accord EX. I am hearing a noise (like a whining or bearing noise) coming from under the hood. Let me explain, I was driving home on the highway and started hearing a squeling noise. At the same time the battery light came on. Then about 20 seconds later the battery light went out. I checked under the hood when I got home and I found belt residue on the driveway. It looks like the ac/power stearing belt is rubbing(ever so slightly on the pulley that comes out of the engine(I believe this is the harmonic balancer). I just got this vehicle out of the shop and spent some bucks on a transmission computer and new brakes. Has anyone run into this type of scenario before? I heard that it could be altenator noise and I will need to replace it. Thanks for your help.

Well I figured out what is makiing the noise. The pulley that come out of the bottom of the engine that 2 belts run on has seperated. Is this going to be expensive to fix? Can I do this myself? Thanks for all the previous responces to this post. The engine still runs and sound fine it's just that the double pulley ( I believe this is the crankshaft pulley) has seperated. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Archived