Geocache anyone?

Pyrorocketeer

Just curious if anyone on here is a geocacher? My brothers friends and I recently stumbled upon a site that was talking about it, so we went out and tried it.

For those who don't know what it is, its basically....

an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 480,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]

we found 3 caches last night, and it was pretty fun. Wandering around at 3 am with nothing but a flashlight, and a gps in the woods looking for a hidden box lol. There are about 600 within a 30 mile raidus of my place, and I think we are gonna go out looking for some in the city today.

anyways, I was just curious if anyone has heard of it, or is a cacher themselves.

http://www.geocaching.com/ is the website, and you can search for them in your area.

we met a lady that was looking for one earlier today. we pulled up, and saw her looking around on the ground with a gps in her hand, and she said " I guess you guys are looking for the same thing I am haha" She gave up after about 10 min, and we found it just after she left.

There are 285 within a 20 mile raidus of my house. lol.

Tonight we are going back out. We think there is one in a local Lowe's store someplace, cause that is exactly where the gps is pointing.... haha that should be fun.

yeah, there is always a bunch of ranom almost worthless stuff in them. We just sign the logbook and leave a playing card in there, and take any and all bugs.

bugs are little ID tags with a description on them, and you move them around from cache to cache. Like we found a bug 2 days ago that said to leave it in the same county. Now yesterday when we went out we found 2. The first one said it was part of a race from Florida to California between 3 family members. It moved from Florida to Pa in under a month..... and the second bug is trying to go across the pond, to Germany.....

Archived