Turbo on my d16y8 engine

Miamishatchback02

ok i have a frankeinstain engine stock not build and iam planing now on adding turbo in it to add some power even that its fast clean for a sohc i have headr that the d5z1 block with the d16y8 head was a stupid thing to do but damn that is wrong i did it and that crap moves quick as hell so anyways yeah ima planing on boosting this motor and its not build basicly but its freshly newly rebuild completely so i want to know what turbo should i use that will be fast enough and spool quick from low rpm to high rpm and i have heard the best way to go its the t25 from the dsm cars and i happen to have a gst whish i got rid of and kept the turbo injectors s_afc i kept the turbo timer and well all the gauges so what do i need to make my car turbo and will the t25 work? what manifold can i use and also i hard its not safe to go more than 8psi on stock internals and i seen stock internals runing on 10 and 12 psi so what do i need to do?

The T25 is a good choice. It's small enough to spool quickly, and max boost is about 14 psi with that turbo. 8 psi is very safe, but you could go 10 with an awesome tune.

ok but what manifold do i have to use in order to have the t25 turbo fit in my honda cuz their flange its different than the t3 flange

I am actually running the t25 turbo on my d16z6. Its wonderful i love it. I can not help you about the manifold mine was custom built along with the piping. Good stuff tho man.

cool so are u in stock internals or u build the engine? and if stock how many psi u runing on that t25? and does it hold till redline or it dosnt hold till redline?

cool so are u in stock internals or u build the engine? and if stock how many psi u runing on that t25? and does it hold till redline or it dosnt hold till redline?

well take a look at the edelbrock kit. i have seen them make 300whp on stock internals, but your on the razors edge of going boom. I can't emhasize this enough get tuning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's better to run 5psi all year then 8-10psi for 2 days and go boom. Don't get clouded with horsepower numbers build it for reliability and efficiency and the numbers will come. Don't have to be the most powerful engine in the world to make you happy.

well take a look at the edelbrock kit. i have seen them make 300whp on stock internals, but your on the razors edge of going boom. I can't emhasize this enough get tuning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's better to run 5psi all year then 8-10psi for 2 days and go boom. Don't get clouded with horsepower numbers build it for reliability and efficiency and the numbers will come. Don't have to be the most powerful engine in the world to make you happy.

well it wont make me happy if i lose to an srt4 that pulls next to me or an evo or maybe an sti and i imagine that even if i dont pull 300hp like those cars do with some mods i will be proba catching them or taking them by a lil cuz my car its light as hell compare to them all right? like how many hp would my car need to beat an srt4 or evo with a few easy mods?

well it wont make me happy if i lose to an srt4 that pulls next to me or an evo or maybe an sti and i imagine that even if i dont pull 300hp like those cars do with some mods i will be proba catching them or taking them by a lil cuz my car its light as hell compare to them all right? like how many hp would my car need to beat an srt4 or evo with a few easy mods?

I get the feeling you want it to be fast and for cheap. well nothing in life is free. You can build a one run wonder to be fast but remember it's one run wonder..... You will probably need 250whp. Depends on driver and weight of the car. On a single you will need to upgrade the bottom end to last. We are obviously taking 1/4 mile sprints right? You want to try to do it without management but you won't be able to do it. period. If that's your goal is to beat evo's and srt4's then build the block to handle the power you are projecting and make sure you have a good cylinder head. It is a combination of parts that make the power. There's always NOS. remember they are all wheel drive so you must have massive top end to stand any chance.

lololol. bolt on srt4's and evo's are mid 13 cars easily. you have quite a ways to go budro. especially if you're starting with a single cam.

ok but evo's and srt4's are cars that are 4doors plus they must weight about 3000 something pounds and my car is a 2 door with nothing but my driver seat and the passenger seat so i must be on like 2000 pounds the most exactly or maybe even less cuz i striped the whole interior out exept the dashboard and the front side door panels

Yea but they're generating something a Honda engine is KNOWN for NOT generating.

A little thing called torque. My LS1 Trans Am was making over 400rwtq on the bottle and on full interior (the car weighed about 3400 pounds, maybe heavier) i was STILL running 11's EASILY.

Yea but they're generating something a Honda engine is KNOWN for NOT generating.

A little thing called torque. My LS1 Trans Am was making over 400rwtq on the bottle and on full interior (the car weighed about 3400 pounds, maybe heavier) i was STILL running 11's EASILY.

ok i dont get something then how come i c a dohc integra ls with stock internals at 250hp and this car weights more than my hatch with a dohc turbo and it takes on srt4's not a super built one but it takes some of them and then u have sohc hatches with turbos that make about 200hp only and beat that same integra dohc then how cant i beat an srt4 or an evo when the integra beats them at 250hp and a 200hp sohc turbo hatch beats that integra turbo with 250hp? explain that to me then? and u can find those videos on youtube cuz thats where i saw them if u want i even give u the links

ok but evo's and srt4's are cars that are 4doors plus they must weight about 3000 something pounds and my car is a 2 door with nothing but my driver seat and the passenger seat so i must be on like 2000 pounds the most exactly or maybe even less cuz i striped the whole interior out exept the dashboard and the front side door panels

well there not 3000lbs, they are under that limit. Your car depending on model is over 2000 lbs unless it is completely gutted and all the door reinforcements are cut off and the bumper reinforcements are off too. For every 100 pounds they say you shave off a .10 sec off your 1/4mile. go to a truck stop and ask them to weigh you car, also remember you are adding weight to your car with the equipment you are putting on for the turbo. My 92 si hatch is about 2400lbs without me in the vehicle, last time i weighed it. my cousins dx coupe 93 was 2200lbs. My buddys integra was 2550. You can get your car at 2000 lbs with no a/c, p/s, sunroof, chairs, panels, and reinforcements but it will be unsafe. 250whp will get the job done, also good driving and tuning. If your gonna be cheap about this build, then I suggest you not do it. I know your hoping to find someone out here that says "yes i have done 250whp with no management and with 450 dsm injectors and stock engine". Lets be realistic, if someone has done it why do manufactures from greedy and edelbrock sell there kits with managements and other parts. These companies have millions of dollars invested in research and development so you the consumer can get a good product that will last and be reliable and comfortable to drive. They would not sell you something if they did not think you actually needed it. 450 dsm injectors with no management would drive very poorly, response would suck and fuel mileage would suffer. also by running so much fuel you dilute the oil on the cylinder walls causing the pistons to scuff and the bearings would wear as the oil will be broken down by the fuel. The old saying applies to engine building, "do it right the first time or don't do it at all". I just feel as though you are fishing for someone to tell you otherwise. when it comes down to it, it's your money, and your asking for advise which people have provided and yet you still post with the same questions like we will give you a different answer this time around. Don't take this as i'm getting on you, think of it as advice, don't get caught up with fast for cheap cause you'll end up sweeping up your parts from the street. hope I didn't confuse you.

ok i dont get something then how come i c a dohc integra ls with stock internals at 250hp and this car weights more than my hatch with a dohc turbo and it takes on srt4's not a super built one but it takes some of them and then u have sohc hatches with turbos that make about 200hp only and beat that same integra dohc then how cant i beat an srt4 or an evo when the integra beats them at 250hp and a 200hp sohc turbo hatch beats that integra turbo with 250hp? explain that to me then? and u can find those videos on youtube cuz thats where i saw them if u want i even give u the links

Too many factors dude. People could lie about their setups, this that and the other. Just WAY too many inconsistencies in those videos.

Too many factors dude. People could lie about their setups, this that and the other. Just WAY too many inconsistencies in those videos.

ok well man the other day one of those f350 truck was infront of me and it was racing a honda sohc i guess and it was a honda civic coupe 92 and the f350 was beating him i went infront of the honda and at the light i was with that truck next to me he tried me and i pull the hell out of that truck and the other honda couldnt even catch it and i pull on him like 3 cars with a sohc d16y8 with just bolts on and striped out. and that wasnt a movie was me and a truck 4reall so how the hell did i beat the truck and the other honda didnt and dont tell me thats the guy didnt know how to drive cuz i know it wasnt that and the other honda was stick too like mine.

Ya just listen to these guys do the built. I ended up getting my whole turbo set up for a grand because my friend put it on his civic with out doing the internals and used the stock bolts to keep the head on. I can not remember I think the head just got all messed up. I did everything I could with my money with new internals and arp studs. I am still tuning it with crome. Its been a process for me since it is my first time. I do hope by summer to be beating srts and possibly evo. Not really a concern to me just wanted to learn all of this great stuff. And i just weighed my car with me an dmy friend in there it was 2,600. I am a small guy and weight 140 and my friend is 160ish. So the car weighs about 2,300. Pretty good i think considering I have the ac out and the windshield resivoir haha. I took out a couple other things does anyone know what a 94 ex coupe is about suppose to weigh??

Ya just listen to these guys do the built. I ended up getting my whole turbo set up for a grand because my friend put it on his civic with out doing the internals and used the stock bolts to keep the head on. I can not remember I think the head just got all messed up. I did everything I could with my money with new internals and arp studs. I am still tuning it with crome. Its been a process for me since it is my first time. I do hope by summer to be beating srts and possibly evo. Not really a concern to me just wanted to learn all of this great stuff. And i just weighed my car with me an dmy friend in there it was 2,600. I am a small guy and weight 140 and my friend is 160ish. So the car weighs about 2,300. Pretty good i think considering I have the ac out and the windshield resivoir haha. I took out a couple other things does anyone know what a 94 ex coupe is about suppose to weigh??

well i build the engine new cuz it was giving me problems i got new pistongs with new rings and new bearing for crankshaft pistongs and all but they were all stock japan made for my car and the bolts to hold the head i put the stock ones i find it hard for the head to get lose at 8psi with those stock bolts man, and well mine is a 92 civic hatchback and i striped it on the interiro compolketely exept for the door panels and the dashboard everything else is gone and my car must weight about 2000 pounds or less.

well i build the engine new cuz it was giving me problems i got new pistongs with new rings and new bearing for crankshaft pistongs and all but they were all stock japan made for my car and the bolts to hold the head i put the stock ones i find it hard for the head to get lose at 8psi with those stock bolts man, and well mine is a 92 civic hatchback and i striped it on the interiro compolketely exept for the door panels and the dashboard everything else is gone and my car must weight about 2000 pounds or less.

go weigh your ride. power to weight ratio is a big deal but build it right and safe. Stock bolts can come loose. You can have too much boost and lift the head and pull the threads out. You can have detonation and lift the head. The stock bolts are good if the setup is good and the tune is good, the aftermarket stuff is better if you plan on boosting alot. (first all motor 9sec honda stock head bolts)

ok well man the other day one of those f350 truck was infront of me and it was racing a honda sohc i guess and it was a honda civic coupe 92 and the f350 was beating him i went infront of the honda and at the light i was with that truck next to me he tried me and i pull the hell out of that truck and the other honda couldnt even catch it and i pull on him like 3 cars with a sohc d16y8 with just bolts on and striped out. and that wasnt a movie was me and a truck 4reall so how the hell did i beat the truck and the other honda didnt and dont tell me thats the guy didnt know how to drive cuz i know it wasnt that and the other honda was stick too like mine.

most likely the car you watched was a CX or DX model, slow. Your hatch with the y8 motor makes about 55 horses at the crank more than the CX model and about 20 more than the DX model. Now take that factory motor and put it against your car with an intake, header, and exhaust. Yours will pull off him like nothing.

I know this because i used to have the D15b7 (the stock CX motor i beleive) with an I/H/E, and i have drivin a '98 EX coupe with an I/H/E. The '98 EX was alot quicker. Also a friend of mine had a stock DX hatch it's alot slower than the y8 motor.

most likely the car you watched was a CX or DX model, slow. Your hatch with the y8 motor makes about 55 horses at the crank more than the CX model and about 20 more than the DX model. Now take that factory motor and put it against your car with an intake, header, and exhaust. Yours will pull off him like nothing.

I know this because i used to have the D15b7 (the stock CX motor i beleive) with an I/H/E, and i have drivin a '98 EX coupe with an I/H/E. The '98 EX was alot quicker. Also a friend of mine had a stock DX hatch it's alot slower than the y8 motor.

well the car was a 92-95 civic ex coupe and well what i got in my car is the d15z1 block with the d16y8 head with injen intake, hp racing full piping 2.5 with original hp muffler as well with headers and 9.3mm apc spark plug cables and hp strut bar thats all i got done to my mottor and i pull like crazy on the 92-95 civic's ex whish suposely got a d16 block with a d16z6 vtec head so mine with those things and my d15z1 block and d16y8 head takes that car like a joke and also the f350 trucks.

rofl wow. he beats f350's. stock ass 6,000 pound or more diesel trucks.

well smart one try beating those trucks with a reg sohc motor by 5 cars to c if u can even keep up with those trucks u wont even catch them thats what happen to the other honda that tried racing it and couldnt keep up with it and i beat the truck by 5 cars with a sohc also with just bolts on and a newly rebuilt frankeistain motor ok. And if u didnt know there its alot of mods u do to this trucks that i bet would beat the hell out of ur car unless u got around 1000hp man so dont be talking stuff without knowing i can get someone that has one mad hooked up with alot of mods and i bet ur car wont take it

well smart one try beating those trucks with a reg sohc motor by 5 cars to c if u can even keep up with those trucks u wont even catch them thats what happen to the other honda that tried racing it and couldnt keep up with it and i beat the truck by 5 cars with a sohc also with just bolts on and a newly rebuilt frankeistain motor ok. And if u didnt know there its alot of mods u do to this trucks that i bet would beat the hell out of ur car unless u got around 1000hp man so dont be talking stuff without knowing i can get someone that has one mad hooked up with alot of mods and i bet ur car wont take it

lol @ smart one. for your info i have no problem out running them even in my teg.

Don't tell me crap about modifying diesel powered vehicles because I've seen farrrr more of them in mudholes up in here nothern florida than you have, I'm sure. I'm willing to bet a 7.3L Powerstroke with nothing more than a programmer would pound your poor cars ass in a sprint through the quartermile. Let's not go into the massive exhaust systems, intake modifications and upping the boost. 7.3L Powerstroke is essentially bulletproof. Transmission is crap, but that's with most vehicles.

Hell, it wouldn't even have to be powerstroke. I think a Cummins powered Ram with a tuner could take you. Probably even a HD Chevy with duramax.

Comparing a Honda to those two is apples to pomegranites. Period. No contest when money is put into them. (unless quite a bit goes into the Honda.)

And as far as "Knowing someone" with a "mad hooked up" diesel truck. EVERYONE knows someone. Knowing someone doesn't change the fact you have a slow car. For that matter I can call up a few friends at the local speedshop, one of which has a 9.7 civic hatch and his brother has a low 9 VW Bug.

fastest diesel truck ive been in was a duramax with bigger turbo and a bully dog kit. cant remember if its the one he had propane spray on but the truck was fukin insane , it spun the whole way through the first 2 gears. i can assure you , no stock or bolt on civic or integra was keeping up to it. had like 500 horse and same in torque if not more. crazy truck.

Archived