Lowering Issue?

tallhamer88

How much is the drop? If it's 1.5 inches or less, don't bother.....just get an alignment. If it's more than 1.5" then get the ingalls camber kit (straight bushings not complete arms). The skunk2/omni front camber kits will give you problems if you are dropped enough to need them. You'll end up punching a hole through the shock tower in the engine bay.

Most important thing is to get a 4 wheel alignment once you're dropped.

well from the company they told me since i got a alignment less then a year ago dont bother. ill be fine. he siad a camber kit may be needed. its a 2inch drop to level my car out. So no go on skunk 2 hmm.. let me research ingalls anymore information and help would be great.

That company is stupidly wrong. Anytime you change the ride height you need a new alignment. If you get an alignment today, and lower the car tomorrow, you'll need a new alignment as soon as you're done lowering it. If you get a camber kit, you'll need an alignment too (even if you don't change ride height). Changing the camber via camber kit will change the toe.

So in short:

dropping the car will mean getting an alignment

adding a camber kit will mean getting an alignment

So don't get the alignment until the suspension is set up the way you want and don't install anything until you have everything that you plan to install.

How much is the drop? If it's 1.5 inches or less, don't bother.....just get an alignment. If it's more than 1.5" then get the ingalls camber kit (straight bushings not complete arms). The skunk2/omni front camber kits will give you problems if you are dropped enough to need them. You'll end up punching a hole through the shock tower in the engine bay.

Most important thing is to get a 4 wheel alignment once you're dropped.

so i dont need a camber kit if i go 1.5"? i was told by a local shop that if you drop a car more then an inch you need a camber kit and tie bar. i didnt understand the need for a tie bar, thought they were full of crap there, but i could see the need for a camber kit. r they just trying to suck some money out of me?

Yes, they are sucking the money out of you. I put a camber kit on my last sol when I dropped it just cuz it came with the stuff, but there was enough room to adjust it without it. In fact the shop where I had it done didn't realize I had it when they did the alignment.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a camber kit with more than a 1.5" drop. I put a camber kit (ingalls) on my car when it was dropped only 1.25" and got an alignment. I've since dropped it another 1.75" beyond that with only an alignment (no camber adjustments), gone through almost one full set of tires with no abnormal camber wear.

Archived