My Current Undertaking

Joe W

Well the time is almost here for me to take on my first serious project with my EF. w00t

First Ill start by saying I have a 1989 CRX DX, yes I know a slow one to start with, but it is driving this car that I fell in love with it and have fun every time i drive.

Now the Tranny will get...

New carbon coated syncrhos

All new seals and bearings*

Exedy stg 1 clutch kit*

Exedy lightweight flywheel*

mfactory 4.7 FD*

mfactory magnetic drain plug*

Brand new axles*

and possibly quaife lsd

Also while the trans is out its getting a complete detail and painted black.

Ok guys and girls there it is opinions positive and negative are welcomed.:thumbsup:

* are parts I already have

Well the plan is a boosted ZC along with some bodywork and respray wheels and some more suspension work, thing is I have nothing for those parts of the project yet and the old D15b2 is holdin it down for me right now with between 40-47 mpg @ over 230Kmi. And I am buying 2 wheels in the spring putting the car on slow process for a while.

EDIT: That is just the jist of the rest of my plans for the CRX though exact brands and parts are under research right now.

Thanks, I think Ill be happy with this tranny setup.

As far as zc i want the dohc but finding parts will be hard vs the Z6 which has an abundance plus its obd1. However I really like the look of the zc hood which has the hump for dohc and would feel it pointless to have that with a sohc engine if that makes sense at all.

No one's gonna know you have a z6 under a zc hood. When I had Kegger's rex with the D16Z6 I liked driving it a lot even though it still needed a lot of work. I can tell you that you'll be much happier with a boosted z6 than zc.

Thanks for the input John. Im glad to get some input on the Z6 in a crx by two people who have driven one even if it needed some work.

As for how its doing now who knows, but based on your statement probably not to good.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda reviving the dead, but I have a question that I dont want to start another thread about.

My question has to do with the break in period after rebuilding my trans, how should it be broken in? length of break-in?

My thought was drive normally (no burnouts or excessive accelerating) for 500mi.

Well the plan is a boosted ZC along with some bodywork and respray wheels and some more suspension work, thing is I have nothing for those parts of the project yet and the old D15b2 is holdin it down for me right now with between 40-47 mpg @ over 230Kmi. And I am buying 2 wheels in the spring putting the car on slow process for a while.

EDIT: That is just the jist of the rest of my plans for the CRX though exact brands and parts are under research right now.

I would do the boosted dohc zc. My cuz and I built his 89 hatch with that setup and it ran on 5.5psi and went thru the 1/4 in 13.7 sec. It was a blast on the street and was still obd-0. It ran for 2 years before we sold it to pursue other setups plus got 3 times the worth of it. Nice and simple, on a stock ecu

Who did you get the MF good from? PM me about that please.

Parts aren't hard to find for the ZC.

I'm building a D16A1 (same as DOHC ZC) for a customer right now. CP Pistons, RM rods, RM cams/valve train, SMSP header, maybe a JG IM, etc.

Ok so which do you think would be the better route. I wanted the zc a1 or a8/a9 first but then thought I could just pick up a Z6 for a coulple hundred less.

Like I said earlier in the thread I still have to make my final decision on the swap, just weighing the options gathering info on each

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the bearings and seals.

I have a question about LSDs though, I was looking at OBX limited slip and I keep coming across the fact that it is only for D series with 40mm bearings and I dont know what size the bearings are on my tranny. The tranny is an L3 from a DX CRX.

Basically if will not work I will not go with an lsd, but if it will Ill use it after field stripping and replacing the washers and outer bolts.

Archived