crv question....

OK.. my girlfriends dad drives a 99 crv.. I beleive it has the b20z2 engine... b20z I know for sure the 2 im not.... The problems... It idles funny... and sometimes wants to die... but power wise is good.. still kicks like a mother while passing slow mofo's..... I took it to the shop that i part-time work at and the engine light show a code for a dead cylinder in 4.... test the compression in all and everything is good except in number 4... it has around 50..... he said that crvs have a problem with the valves recessing into the head... is this true? Does anyone have another idea? The price for a new head and install came to around $2700... A new engine and install came to around $3200... So hes thinking of just doing the new engine.... what gets us is hondas are known for lasting over 200,000 miles but this sad little crv didnt turn 200,000 close with 188,000.... Any ideas? Please help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OK.. my girlfriends dad drives a 99 crv.. I beleive it has the b20z2 engine... b20z I know for sure the 2 im not.... The problems... It idles funny... and sometimes wants to die... but power wise is good.. still kicks like a mother while passing slow mofo's..... I took it to the shop that i part-time work at and the engine light show a code for a dead cylinder in 4.... test the compression in all and everything is good except in number 4... it has around 50..... he said that crvs have a problem with the valves recessing into the head... is this true? Does anyone have another idea? The price for a new head and install came to around $2700... A new engine and install came to around $3200... So hes thinking of just doing the new engine.... what gets us is hondas are known for lasting over 200,000 miles but this sad little crv didnt turn 200,000 close with 188,000.... Any ideas? Please help!

Yeah it has happen to quite a few CRV's. My cuz had one and it had an issue with the valve. If I was in his situation I would refresh the head. The most it should cost him if he installed the head would be like 500. The engine has more life in it. Give it a chance.

Archived