Radio Unlock Help!

silvrb15

hmm well, you should have the card with the code on it, im assuming you do have that and know what it is since u did say the code doesn't work. if you already did put in the code and you tried too many times, thats a different issue. if you tried too many times, and it basically froze on you, just leave ur car on for an hour and it'll reset and ask for the code again. i forgot whether you have to leave the radio itself on or not, but afterwards just type in ur code again..

i remember when i got my car back from the shop, i guess they had tried putting in random codes, and i pressed one button and it froze on me. so after an hour i put in the code and it works..

I suggest you take your car in to your local dealership and have a professional put in the code for you. Maybe the code isnt the one for the radio and you might just disprogram it. I work for a dealer and that happens alot. Thats the best suggestion I have for you. All they need is the vin # of your car and they will look it up in the computer and find your radio code. They say that normally you will lose your code from the radio if you jump start another car or your battery dies on you or you change battery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I suggest you take your car in to your local dealership and have a professional put in the code for you. Maybe the code isnt the one for the radio and you might just disprogram it. I work for a dealer and that happens alot. Thats the best suggestion I have for you. All they need is the vin # of your car and they will look it up in the computer and find your radio code. They say that normally you will lose your code from the radio if you jump start another car or your battery dies on you or you change battery.

I have a Honda accord, 1996 4 door. I put in a new battery and now the radio does not work. I did not know the radio would quit if no current was applied. I bought the car used and did not get a book or code card with it. After reading your message about giving the vin# to a dealer and he could look up the radio code, I did that here in Amarillo, TX. Three different people at the dealership told me that I had to give them the model and serial number of the radio. If the vin# is all that is required, could you help by telling me where I can get the riquired code for the radio. Thanks, Ed

You can e-mail me at: paperback38@yahoo.com :)

The reason the VIN# and serial # are needed is because the radio could have been changed, VIN# wont pull that info, besides the repair if done under factory warranty. Also they ask this for proof of ownership. I do not recommend letting the dealer remove/install radio to get the serial #, they will charge .5 - 1 hr of labor. Its simple pull the radio yourself, call them with the VIN#/serial# & they will run a VIN status which displays radio code & other info about the car. The dealer I worked for would not give codes over the phone, the person must have both vehicle & radio at the dealer. VIN status also checks for any open recalls.

The radio code . . . If it is entered 3 times WRONG the radio will LOCK. Disconnect negative battery terminal for 15 seconds or pull a fuse from the underhood fuse panel to reset then enter CORRECT code. Write the #'s down in a few places so you will never be without the code again.

I wonder which crack head engineer decided to control keyless entry from the radio on some civics. If you want to replace it with aftermarket unit then you must leave the stock radio in the dash, tucked away. It was probably the same engineer that designed the '98+ V6 auto transmission.

Archived