96 Civic EX power window issue

daveskitz

My front driver side power window appears to have become off track and won't close properly. When I try to close it, it comes up on the outside of the weather stripping and either stops without closing or goes all the way up and sticks out a bit leaving an open gap. I have taken the door panel off but not quite sure how to fix this or what to look for. With the colder weather right around the corner...any advise would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

check the rubber around the window and see if its folded under itself. if it is then use something that wont hurt the glass like plastic and try to pry it back into position. if thats not the case then you have to take the door panl off and loosen the two white plastic retaining clamps on the bottom of the glass. they are two bolts that you just unscrew until the window can be moved left or right. now pop the window out of these clamps and then you can manipulate it back into the metal tracks on either side. then put the wondow back into the clamps and bolt everything up without nocking it out of the track again. it's kind of a pain so be patient with it. make sure you have a towel too there is a layer of thick red grease on everything that stains easily and makes it hard to work if your hands are all slick.

check the rubber around the window and see if its folded under itself. if it is then use something that wont hurt the glass like plastic and try to pry it back into position.
The rubber around the window doesn't appear to be folded under itself...at least from looking at it without taking the panel off. When I try to open the window, it appears to be inside the rubber but when is starts to go up it initially moves away from the rubber and towards the front of the car instead of going straight up inside the rubber, then about 1/4 of the way up it tries to come back and ends up outside the rubber.

try taking the door panel off. if you look inside the door there are two metal strips sitting vertically on either side of the door. check to see if the glass is still inside the little track on the inside of those strips. if not you will need to detach the glass, use the directions in my first poste, and get it back in that track. it's kind of a pain cuz you almost need three hands, it helps if you get someone to hold things in place while you move other things around.

Archived