Em2 Stock exhaust

as2rd

Although I am not new to working on cars, I have a cat. issue. I have a rattling/ticking noise coming from it which will need to be replaced. (100,---miles) Since I will be working on the exhaust, I want to be able to hear the exhaust as well as hit 400mi per tank. Which "can" is the resonator in the back because i see two, 1 smaller to the 1 oil barrel. I do not wish to remove the resonator, but will it make a notice able difference by changing the muffler itself? I want a deep smooth pur but not rice like. Any good recommendations on which brand to get?---Andy (I did a search but couldn't find any good info)

how quiet do you want it? i have a magnaflow universal glasspack and its very quiet, barely louder than stock, but a different sound. i've noticed a 2mpg increase when i'm cruising and i've noticed a very small increase in power ( i don't have to push the pedal down as far when i'm driving)

I heard some clips of the magnaflow setup and I want that same sound :thumbsup: , but I dont have the money to dump $525 into the exhaust :( . Any pointers? I still have to decide on a cat or testpipe. I may get a 4-1 header, but not sure because of my college funds. ---Andy

I actually cam across this video on Youtube which is what I want. "No Farts" I like how you can hear the engine work itself, rather than it echoing down a tunnel if you know what I mean. Ark doesnt make an exhaust for the Em2's so if anyone knows of an exhaust system that sounds the same, I would appreciate it.

---Andy

wow that sounds very nice but since you don't have the same engine i don't think that you'll get the same sound. the glasspack version of the magnaflow universal sounds pretty similar, a little quieter. its a very smooth sound. no pops, grinding noises, resonation. just very low and mellow. what you can do is buy a muffler and have a catback exhaust made. wont cost as much as a premade system but make sure you get someone reputable. i know with my ranger it cost me about $60 to have an axle back system with tip welded up so look around local muffler shops, autoshops, or anyone handy with a welder.

heres an old link to my borla after i made my own axle back. our cars have what looks like 2 mufflers , one before and one after the axle , cut them both off or you wont hear your muffler , lol , trust me. i think mine sounds very similar to that actually , different engine of course.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17079

Thanks for replying Pballer2005 and cranny. I will probably get an axle back done at a shop. I like Borla a lot because it has a smooth sound and good flow. I live in a strictly-ruled housing development so one of their rules was "loud cars"... I do want a better R/T so I can pass on those one lane roads with out being hit head on :crazy: . Will placing a muffler/glasspack closer to the front make a sound/performance difference? If i did that then i would finish the rest of the exhaust to the back.---Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember that when it comes to cars and parts you usually get what you pay for.... So keeping that in mind a borla is a fantastic choice.. Im new to tuners but have been building hot rods and off road race trucks for years.. Flow master also makes a nice exhaust note and I think that would also help you avoid the coffee can hangin off the back of your car look... Hope my input helps your decision...

Just remember that when it comes to cars and parts you usually get what you pay for.... So keeping that in mind a borla is a fantastic choice.. Im new to tuners but have been building hot rods and off road race trucks for years.. Flow master also makes a nice exhaust note and I think that would also help you avoid the coffee can hangin off the back of your car look... Hope my input helps your decision...

Your in the same boat as me then, I just got finished rebuilding a 1972 chevy c-10 ground up and now im selling it :crazy: . Anyway, that truck had 2 flow. super 40s and it was too loud for the housing development. I like how the can's tip fits in contour with the curve in the rear bumper, but my friend has a can hes willing to give me that sounds like $#!T. I just want good flow with a quiet deep tone if its possible for these cars.:ninja: I dont want cops to hear me coming. So the stock stays on til i find what i need, unfortuately. ---Andy

Archived