b16 block issue

hi i have a b16a in a 95 coupe. im having an issue with my cylinders. my machinist is telling me he wants to do a 20 over bore on my block to do some clean up on the walls. im not sure if this is a good idea or not that much is needed. i have another motor company telling me to do something different. i have a set of 81mm pistons for the motor well im being told to have the pistons coated on the side skirts and get 10 over rings and just have the cylinders miked and hones to fit each piston and that will solve the problem. which is the better choice.

doing a 20 over on the block and having to get 81.5mm pistons or doing this coating process to keep from tearing into the block. please let me know.

if the 20 over is the better way to go then i have a set of honda forged pistons 81mm for sale brand new still in box.

hes rebuilding it obviously. bore it out .020 over dude to 81.5mm. it doesnt hurt it not one bit and will increase your displacement , therefore power. if your staying all motor and not running N2 , you dont need forged pistons. the cylinders dont wear even all around the circle dude , they turn into ovals.

Bore it. Don't ever associate with the shop that said to coat them and bore.

There are a lot of advantages running forged pistons in an N/A setup, but they aren't needed for a DD setup.

Archived