1994-1997 Accord V6

James Matteu

I would like to have anyone share their experiences in increasing the tire patch over stock, while retaining the stock rim.

I have 4 Michelin Energy Plus MXV4 205/60R15 91V with 43k and 2.5 years on them and I just made it past Abe Lincoln’s massive forehead this month.

I know on the stock rim I can put the following:

Michelin Pilot XGT V4 215/60R15 93V

Michelin Pilot MXM 225/55R15 92V

I would like to know if there is a visual difference between the 205mm and the 225mm tire patch; and, of course, road noise, balance retention, handling, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past Friday, October 12, my decision was forced upon me. I got a flat that could not be repaired (through the sidewall), the kids were in the car, and the only tire the shop had in stock was the Michelin MXV4 Energy 205/60R16 91V. So now I have one tire in that size and will now get 3 more of the same to keep it consistent.

In another 3 years, I will ponder this question again by posting on this thread.

hehe. hopefully you remember to dredge up this exact thread and post in it.

when you go to a too much wider tire you run a couple other risks too. like the sidewall of the tire extending out past the rim. the outside edge of the rim helps to protect the tires a little bit from debris hitting the relatively weaker, and much thinner, sidewall of the tire. Not to mention if you go too large it will look like you are riding on balloons. depending on the tire, rim and a few other factors you do run a higher risk of popping the bead under heavy cornering too - especially if the tire pressure gets lower then optimum.

• 1 month later...

Got another flat.

This time I didn't have the cash for another Michelin. I ended up with 3 Kumos.

I am very upset, but I keep telling myself I will go back to Michelin the next time around.

I will post the exact type I have, but as far as comparison everything is as expected.

Road Noise: Michelin is quieter, the Kumos are close, but are really loud on concrete.

Wear: TBD

I am so disappointed in the 3 Kumho Solus HP4s I bought. Compared to the Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus, they are so inferior.

They feel unsteady at 100+ mph. On turning, they break loose sooo easy. Looks like it's gonna be slow and easy for the next 50k miles.

It hurts moreso since I was beginning to be unsatisfied with the MXV4s and wanted to move up to the Pilot EXs.

well, kuhmo is mostly a budget tire anyway, so it shouldn't be expected to be specifically better then the michelins

I had good luck with the ecsta's but those are a warm weather only tire. they have great wet/dry traction, but 0 rating for snow and ice (which was fine for a car that I stored in the winter). and your problem with the high speed issue was something I experienced as well. above 80 on mine there was a nagging vibration that 10+ trips to have them rebalanced wouldn't fix

:mad:

I am going to start squirreling away my pennies so I can get the wide aspect ratio (225/55R15 92V) Michelin MXM Pilots.

I don't race, but sticky all weather tires are so choice, I highly recomend them if you have the means.

Some of you may catch my FB reference.

When I worked at a tire shop I'd drive cars in that needed tires and out after I'd replaced them. It's honestly amazing what a difference it makes even in the short drives I'd take them on around the building and in our back parking lot.

Archived