Engine management Input please

My recent research has led me to believe that AEM is the way to go when i start to tune. My plans again are to go all motor NON-vtec for now. Then later when i feel i am done with it i may turbo or head swap etc. When i do decide to do head work and cam swaps which is a better controller to tune on? I have found alot of the honda guys running the AEM. Any input?

-Marcus

For your purposes any ECU tuning like Neptune, Crome, any of those will work. No need to step up to a piggy back or standalone engine management, it's not necessary.

Figure out what you're going to do first. You can't build all motor and boost it. If you build an all motor non VTEC and headswap after, you're not right. The non VTEC will smoke a good solid mild build VTEC.

Well my goal is to stage it. Bolt on, then ported head and cams, then do a bottom end build. The bottom end build being for strength with a turbo. MY ultimate goal is to end up with a turbo or a jackson. As far as my first stage will be a bolt on then a cam swap. Im not fond of the mail order style tunes, and we here at the shop have had tuning time with the AEM controllers on a SI. Another reason why the AEM is appealing, regardless if it is a little overkill. However, i am most definately willing to try something new. Does anyone have link to the Neptune or Crome?

Edit: As such, i am always open for suggestions. I am very extensive in my research before i start a project. If you have any advice as to what and where to buy by all means. This will be my first import project. I mainly work with LSx motors/Ford mod and the SBC/BBC/SBF motors here at theshop. To me Dyno gains mean nothing on a normal day but for this project i am interested in HP/TQ gains. Im not askign that of anyone, but, what i am looking for is recomendations for bolt ons. My car in mind is a 94-01 Integra LS b18b DOHC non-vtec. Companies that you guys have tried and liked or even, NOT liked are welcome. Thank you in advance!

-Marcus

Forget stages and bolt ons. Just save up and do the head and block at the same time. It'd be pretty dumb rolling around with turbo cams/headwork on a stock block.

Hondata S300.

Forget stages and bolt ons. Just save up and do the head and block at the same time. It'd be pretty dumb rolling around with turbo cams/headwork on a stock block.

Hondata S300.

Thats not my plan nor will it ever be. I want to know what i started with, what i had after this, that, and the other.

Thats not my plan nor will it ever be. I want to know what i started with, what i had after this, that, and the other.

That would be your decision then. If you're confident in tuning AEM's EMS or confident in someone you know, then by all means go for it.

I am confident in the tuner/owner at the shop. EFI live graduate, and noted tuner in the country. Shops around here come to HIM with questions and come to us for tuning. My thing was when i asked he said do my research, so i am. My current build was originally a TPI car. They used the burned chips i got 4 they all sucked so i have yet to be a fan of a chip of any sort. I love the ease of tunability such as an EFI LSx car.

What you need to do then...

Stock block

dyno

stock block

cams

dyno

stock block

headwork

cams

dyno

built block

stock head

dyno

built block

stock head

stock cams

dyno

built block

stock head

cams

dyno

built block

headwork

dyno

built block

headwork

cams

dyno

A lot of time and money just to have it go out the window when you put the turbo on.

Well if i read that correctly, it seems as if i would be workign backwards on that deal. A better goal to set would be

Stock

Catback+intake=?

Catback+intake+highflow cat=?

Catback+intake+cat+header=?

etc.

Then bolt ons+ported head=?

Bolt ons+head+cams?

etc

Once i am done with all i can do and do the minor appearance mods i wish put my bolt ons/head/cams on my (by then already built) shortblock.

And thats how it will stay for a while. Eventually a poweradder unless i am content with my motor build(i usually am, never used an adder on any of my cars)

Doesn't work like that. Each mod affects the others differently, which is why you do it the way I posted. Otherwise all you have is a gross figure for each series of mods, versus a net figure for each mod.

I still don't get why you would do bolt ons when you are thinking about a turbo. Waste of money. If you are thinking the final power will decide if you go turbo, then that is weird.

If you do a build for turbo, then of course you'll want more, as it won't have much more (10-20whp) power than stock. If you do good build to make power, then you won't be able to put a turbo on it. If you do the turbo build and decide not to put a turbo on, then your compression will be too low, headwork wrong, cams wrong, and you'll have clearances for a certain turbo power (300, 400, 500, etc) which won't be good for an N/A build.

I am confident in the tuner/owner at the shop. EFI live graduate, and noted tuner in the country. Shops around here come to HIM with questions and come to us for tuning. My thing was when i asked he said do my research, so i am. My current build was originally a TPI car. They used the burned chips i got 4 they all sucked so i have yet to be a fan of a chip of any sort. I love the ease of tunability such as an EFI LSx car.

I may have to PM you about tuning..it's still a pretty gray area to me.

Archived