new project car

blackdelsol

hey everybody. just got my project mr2, its a 1992. the body was in decent shape and it has leather seats, so even though the guy lied to me and told me it was a manual (its an auto) I got it anyway. hopefully it will be converted to a manual and have an engine swap by the end of summer:

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Somebody at my school has an absolutely sick mr2 of this generation. Judging by your old sol this one will get to that level soon. Good luck with it -- it deffo looks like a project as you say...

Tell us how it stacks up to the VTEC sol.

well, as of right now, the MR2 handles incredibly better than the del sol did, there is almost virtually no body roll around corners and the frame feels very rigid, no give. The RWD is a blast, especially on dirt roads (doesn't have enough power to do much on tar). I think the motor has about 137 hp, so it is slower than my del sol was. the paint needs work, and it needs to have a manual transmission. I think I am going to buy a rear clip soon. the one I want is $4000, but it is a newer model than was sold in the U.S. and has 245hp. so paint, new suspension, brakes, engine, and transmission conversion are my main concerns right now.

edit: it has a 5sfe motor. the 3sge was not offered in the U.S. I will be putting in a 3SGTE.

aw how gay.

i'd have figured they'd have been close. hp generally means nothing in cars as light as those. i'd imagine they weigh about the same, too.

welcome to the rwd side of things bro. :D

the car will be autocrossed when it is ready. the 3s-gte was offered in America, the 3SGE was not. the 3SGTE offered in america came with a CT-26 turbo, as did the gen 2 JDM one. the gen 3 came with larger injectors, a CT-20 turbo, a different head and intake manifold, slightly higher tuned ecu, etc. that has 245 hp and that's the one I'm getting. I believe the 3sge was offered in the UK but not in the US. I might be wrong, so if someone can prove it was offered in the US post up a link.

Archived