Oil blowing out the exhaust(muffler)!

mgressel

I have a 90 Accord LX, I recently had some engine work done to hit this is what they did at my shop i work at. They replaced my Rings, main bearings, rod bearings, head set, pcv valve, temp sensor, spark plugs. I had the head resurfaced and put valve guide seals on, they didnt replace the guides or check them and what not. Well after about less then a month it started to lose 3 quarts of oil a week cause it was shooting out of my exhaust(muffler) and on the ground you could see the wet oil. I took it back and the guy replaced the valve guide seals agian cause he said one was really loose and he visably saw the oil dripping from that valve guide seal into cylinder 2 which was full of oil he said. Once he did that it still was shooting the oil onto the ground. Now he is saying it is the valve guides and I have to rebuilt my head. I honestly think one of the rings broke he put on there. So I was hoping you guys could tell me what you really think is going on here. He should already have the head off by the time I get to work on monday so I am gonna send it out to the machine shop. but I dont really want to do that if its gonna be the rings. Please let me know what you guys think I should do.

654458153_l.jpg

if he has replaced th guides twice like he says and it is still spitting oil like that then i am almost 100% positive it's rings

Tell that BROKEanic to do a leak down test to it.It will pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from.

And if it is the rings ,then you must have a lot of blow-by coming out of the pcv valve port and from the oil filler cap.

He should have done that the first time it came back !!

exactly , if theres blue smoke or oil comming from dipstick hole or pcv valve , its blowing by your rings most likely , he might not have aligned the rings properly. as far as oil on the ground , front and rear main seals , oil pan , sounds like he did a crap ass job in general.

Hey guys thanks for the input! but he never replaced the guides just the valve guide seals. The oil is shooting out the back of my exhaust you can see the oil puddles in my exhaust can thats where its blowing out from I dont know if you guys think i mean front of engine but no its coming out the exhaust in the back all the way through my exhaust out the muffler and onto the ground. He did replace oil pan seal and rear main and front seals. all that stuff I have no oil leaks from engine. but he did say it looked like oil was shooting out of the pressure sensor I think what he said cause he noticed wet oil from there behind the head theres a sensor there. Not really sure what it was. but I already bought the Head set just waiting for him to pull the head off. It really has been a nightmare with this car. I just want it done right.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys! I took my head to the machine shop they said the guides where fine and my head was good. So then the mechanic took off pistions and found that the rings are not broke. So know those two things are out of the picture! I dont understand what it could be then causing oil to shoot out the tail pipe and leaving puddle of oil in exhaust. Anyone have any ideas? He is gonna see the boaring on the pisitons tommrow.

pistons are probably too small for the holes if all else is good. just cause the rings arent broke doesnt mean crap , they might not have been aligned properly.

im not sure on this but i think the sensor on the back of the head is the positive crankcase valve. ask him if he put it in correctly. cuz if he didnt that might be what is causin the oil to shoot back out of the engine

Yea Ill mention that to the tech but he is kind of a dumbhead thinks he is god! I work there at the shop so I see whats going on with my car! He is gonna try to see the bore on the pistions. but he might of just alinged them wrong who knows! Also when he took the head off number 2 pistion had was only one with clean smoothness on the sides on a few spots rest were all black you know and in the head u could see the oil crust inside there in that number 2 spot inside the head it was all dried oil in there but thats were he says he saw visable oil driping from that #2 so it seems like its something to do with that #2 pistion. but I am getting my head rebuilt anyway with new guides just on the safe side even though the machine shop said they were fine... So would that give me some more power since my head will be rebuilt?

Well I cant take it to different tech cause I had it rebuilt here and they have to pay for this crap! He said the bore on the pistion the number 2 one is fine. Says he will replace the rings on that #2 pistion but I was thinking way doesnt he just replace the others too but guess its that #2 pistion that is the problem cause of the smoothness on it! But I am getting my head rebuilt anyway with new guides and what not.

Archived