What should I do?

jkonecne

Alright guys, I have a dilemma. In a couple years I will have a chunk of change coming in year and a half. I currently have a completely stock 95 Honda Accord EX 2.2L. I love this car since it is my first car. My dilemma is; should I buy a used 2007 civic si and not have any money left over? Or keep my accord and spend 10 to 15 grand and re-build/upgrade? I don't know a whole lot about cars buy I have a friend who is into cars and is also a automotive engineer major, who is willing to help me.

Also, if I keep mine, any comments on what stuff I should get within my price range and where to get it? I live in northern Minnesota so I don't know what they have around here. I'm guessing I'll have to go to the Twin Cities. Thanks everyone.

If you are dead set on keeping the accord I would:

H22A or Euro R (F22B) swap

lower it on ground control sleeves w/ tockico illuminas

nice 16" rims

cf front lip, and hood

nice sound system

then maybe a turbo build

That is just if you dont get a 92-95civ or 94-01 Teg. The positive to keeping the accord I havent seen too many done right, but its not a race car.

If you are dead set on keeping the accord I would:

H22A or Euro R (F22B) swap

lower it on ground control sleeves w/ tockico illuminas

nice 16" rims

cf front lip, and hood

nice sound system

then maybe a turbo build

That is just if you dont get a 92-95civ or 94-01 Teg. The positive to keeping the accord I havent seen too many done right, but its not a race car.

So if I got an 2000-2001 Integra. What would a have to do to get it to 250+ horsepower, not spending more than what I have. I've looked at some and it seems all the ones that have been taken care of already have mods and such.

look harder

modded cars arent that bad.. just have to know how to fix them when they go wrong.

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying a modded car. It just takes away the fun of building it how I want and for me learning what the hell I'm actually doing.

you know nothing about Accord modifications

hold on.. look at this accord.

this is a stupid video but the car's sexy lookin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZnXDcr4aHo

Were you talking to me? If so you are right I dont know about accord mods because I dont own one. Those are just things that I would buy with my current knowledge of accords

Between the two vehicles you've said you want, it all depends on you. If you are looking for a car to tune and have fun with, then build the Accord. If you just want something that is quick, handles well, and you don't want to do too much to it, then buy the Si, or better yet get the RSX-S and save a little bit of money that way. If you decide to go with the Accord, then I suggest going with a built H22 block. I dropped one in my 95 EX 5-Speed, and it was pretty freaking quick. Mine wasn't built of course, but it was fun. Do some research and find out what your options are with either route, and then go from there, rather than taking advice from guys like us who are literally going to tell you to go get a 92-95 civic hatch or a 94-01 integra. That's what I recommend and there are reasons why we recommend them. gl though..

-Nathan

Between the two vehicles you've said you want, it all depends on you. If you are looking for a car to tune and have fun with, then build the Accord. If you just want something that is quick, handles well, and you don't want to do too much to it, then buy the Si, or better yet get the RSX-S and save a little bit of money that way. If you decide to go with the Accord, then I suggest going with a built H22 block. I dropped one in my 95 EX 5-Speed, and it was pretty freaking quick. Mine wasn't built of course, but it was fun. Do some research and find out what your options are with either route, and then go from there, rather than taking advice from guys like us who are literally going to tell you to go get a 92-95 civic hatch or a 94-01 integra. That's what I recommend and there are reasons why we recommend them. gl though..

-Nathan

Thanks Nathan. Good advice. What is the real reasoning for a 92-95 civic or a 94-01 integra. I really like my Accord, but I really don't know if I'm that hardcore enough to want to totally rebuild the whole thing. I'm thinking just getting the si and then just doing some minor things like air flow/intake and whatnot. If I go for the si what would be the best way to get more power without doing too much extreme. Keep in mind I will have help putting this stuff in, with people that know what they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

One good reason to going with 1992-1995 Honda Civic?

There is a huge aftermarket for these cars. Many experiments have been tried and what works is well known.

One good reason for going with 1994-2001 Acura/Honda Integra?

Same as above.

You seem to have an emotional attachment to this Accord, restore it and preserve that memory, don’t change into something different. That would be the same as giving it up and buying another car.

If your goal is to learn about working on cars, restore the Accord. Nothing teaches you more about what makes cars go fast more/better than learning how they work.

Benefits to buying a car that is fast out of the box? You build it yourself and you are limited to the knowledge in your head and in the head of your friend that will help. When the factory builds it, teams of engineers that have been doing this for years have put together a package that they have determined would be most useful to the target market.

Figure out what the target market is for a car and you end up learning why/(what) it was designed (for).

Remember this if you plan on making your Accord faster. Unless you make some major changes to the suspension, you will end up with a car that has similar handling characteristics to your current ride, only faster.

When I say major, I mean the difference between a trailing arm and five-point double wishbone suspension.

Archived