Starting issues...

tygr20

My wife's been having a lot of problems with her 91 A-bomb LX. It's all started really suddenly. I know from experience with my 93, if you stall the motor you have to give it a little time before starting it again. Otherwise, it won't spark, and it'll flood. Hers is frequently stalling after 1-2 sec running, and then just plain won't start for some 30 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more. Could it be the distrib? Anyone else have any better ideas before I replace it?

What sort of info you want? - IACV- Idle air control valve?

Yep. Might be your ignition coil, my brother's 91 did the same thing, after much troubleshooting thats what it was.

Yep. Might be your ignition coil, my brother's 91 did the same thing, after much troubleshooting thats what it was.

It's just got me friggin baffled. In all honesty, to simulate exactly what happens, go out, start your car, count to one, turn it back off. When my 93 did this, there was never a major problem. Stall it on start up, turn it off, count to 100, start it again and go. Hers, sometimes it'll die, and start back immediately, sometimes you can do the count to 100, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes half the day.>_< The 93 didn't need anything replaced- you just couldn't stall it on start. I don't think it's the IACV, no lazy idle- it idles/runs fine, as long as it starts right. When it does this, it's almost like it almost started, and then the fuel and/or air and/or spark cut off. It's retarded, I'm ready to sell it. Speaking of- is there a classified section on here? I'm selling my Civic, like to sell the Accord, upgrade. Maybe have a :ninja: come make them both disappear for the insurance...

sounds like her ignition switch is going out .does the dash lights go out when it stalls ?

check your battery connections .

I don't think the dash lights go out. I'll check the battery cables- now that you mention it, I think I've seen some corrosion on one of them, and haven't done much short of cleaning it off.

• 1 month later...
I don't think the dash lights go out. I'll check the battery cables- now that you mention it, I think I've seen some corrosion on one of them, and haven't done much short of cleaning it off.

Temperature rising...

I've replaced the battery cables, that didn't help. Now, after I was just in the car for 5-10 minutes, key on, but not running, the battery is drained. Alternator, perhaps? :rant:

Temperature rising...

I've replaced the battery cables, that didn't help. Now, after I was just in the car for 5-10 minutes, key on, but not running, the battery is drained. Alternator, perhaps? :rant:

check for spark ,check for fuel delivery .you should here the injectors activate when turning key to the ON position .

I know the early 90's accord had a distributor problem inside the assy.open up the cap and inspct it .

• 2 weeks later...
If it's not the alternator, then some other system in the car is eating battery!! alarm system? something!

Going nuclear in 3...2...

I think I've determined it's the distrib. I did the screwdriver in the plug wire test, and saw no spark on the valve cover- but at the same time, the battery died in the process of trying this after 5-6 cranks. So- I'm looking for the distributor, find 4 at Pull-a-Part, go back 2 days later- GONE... Can't find one at a salvage yard anywhere. Could it still be the alternator with it being not enough power to do full cranks? Could that be causing no spark?

Going nuclear in 3...2...

I think I've determined it's the distrib. I did the screwdriver in the plug wire test, and saw no spark on the valve cover- but at the same time, the battery died in the process of trying this after 5-6 cranks. So- I'm looking for the distributor, find 4 at Pull-a-Part, go back 2 days later- GONE... Can't find one at a salvage yard anywhere. Could it still be the alternator with it being not enough power to do full cranks? Could that be causing no spark?

i don't think the alternator would cause a no spark situation.Alternator job is to charge the battery.But the car has to be running above 2000rpm for the ALT. to charge.But a low battery would cause a no spark.When cranking the motor how does tthe engine sound ?does it sound slow when cranking ?

• 2 weeks later...
i don't think the alternator would cause a no spark situation.Alternator job is to charge the battery.But the car has to be running above 2000rpm for the ALT. to charge.But a low battery would cause a no spark.When cranking the motor how does tthe engine sound ?does it sound slow when cranking ?

Well, found the spark problem after changing the distrib... the bad battery had something to do with it. *FUMING*...

Still couldn't get it to start, period. However, today, I had someone start the car while I watched for spark to make sure the thing is getting juice, and it started. With a plug wire out. I had her shut it off, plugged the spark wire back in, and it stalled almost immediately. I'm going to have the fuel pressure checked asap, provided I can get the son of a started long enough to get it to a shop.

Archived