Should I replace timing belt?

TrailMystic

I've got a '94 sol with only 54K on it. I've only had it a month and I have no maintenance record, so I don't know if the timing belt is original. I know the timing belt can go a lot longer if I just look at miles, but what about aging? Thirteen years is a long time. Also, I am new to these engines (B16A3 VTEC). Is a timing belt failure destructive or non-destructive? What other "age-related" maintenance concerns should I address?

Pete

true but the whole aged, and dry-rot would make the belt crack and then it should be changed also. thats why i said i would just change it

Have it looked at by a mechanic. If it looks fine leave it until the 80-100k mark. When it goes it can be disasterous, though, so if in doubt spend the money or take the time to change it.

I would just change it out.. dont go by looks. my mech did a full complete tune up and was going to do the timing belt but said they looked good like someone just had it changed..3 weeks later blew my motor cuz it skipped. It was for the better, changed out my motor.. but just dont risk it..

Archived