91 accord sputters when accelerating

ludedude25

Well it's me again after probably a couple years problem free.

Same car 1991 Honda Accord 4Dr Fuel Injected Automatic etc.

The car starts fine fires right up with no problems and idles fine.

It seems to run ok going down the road but when you give it the gas it sputters and hesitates badly. I can Punch down on the gas and even though it sputters it still takes off just alot slower then it used to.

It's even worse in town. Driving from stop sign/light to another you give it the gas to get to the next light or sign and it sounds like hell! Sputtering like it's going to die.

I have changed the spark plugs & wires since a plug was fowled out and wire looked bad, Checked the distributor cap & rotor cap which still look ok. I put new ones on the car when I got it a couple yrs ago.

Checked air filter.. also replaced about a year ago.

The care was way past due for a timing belt change so I went ahead and had it done also just recently. Also the water pump and all the valve cover gaskets etc. I know it's kinda unrelated but still has the hesitation/sputtering problem.

I'm going to change fuel filter too but I think i changed it when I got the car.

Otherwise i'm stumped!

As for the first time I posted here the trans computer and master relay are still holding up nicely. No shift issues anymore and starts every time.

Any suggestions i'm all ears! err eyes1

Thanks

Chad

fuel filter, and could also be dirty injectors, i would run some injector cleaner in it after you change the fuel filter and if it is still doing it, maby even pull the injector and get some new ones or clean yours :thumbsup:

Well sorry took so long to get back been a busy week. Last thursday or friday I changed the fuel filter and ran through the most expensive/ best fuel injector cleaner carquest had.

Still sputters.

Also to the other guy where is the maf sensor? I got a bunch of free parts from a friends car he's scrapping out.

I took the complete fuel injection system or at least all i could find inc. the throttle body with everything attached to it, fuel rail & injectors, the box the hose's attached to, and some other parts.

What parts if any are worth any money? He's broke and i told him i'd list some stuff on ebay for him but not sure if there's anything worth saving?

91 accords don't have a mass air flow sensor .Check your fuel pressure.Or take it from your friends scrapped up car.

will do on the fuel pressure. Yep I looked everywhere and couldn't find one. I swapped the entire intake, throtle body? thing the air goes in before it goes in the intake, LOL Same problem.

I did notice when the engine is cold it doesn't have this problem or it's not as noticeable but within mabey 5-10 minutes of driving the sputtering starts and the warmer it gets the worse it gets.

I'll see if I can find someone that has something to check pressure then if that don't work i'm gonna swap back the old body and swap injectors.

I can't seem to figure out what items are tempurature sensitive that also deal with fuel delivery. hmmmm.

Oxygen sensor? That vaccum thing on the fuel rail? EGR valve?

Thanks to all for reading this and helping with suggestions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well if it the egr, its a valve all you have to do is replace it. the valve runs off of your exhaust and recirculates 10% of your exaust to help with emissions. tho i have never heard of it botherin the acceleration of a car. also you cant take fuel presure off of your buddies car.

I have had similar problems.

1986 Accord LX (A20A1 2.0L SOHC CVCC 12 valves):

It would start rough and then hesitate on acceleration. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve was dirty, so I replaced it with an EGR Valve from an 1989 Accord DX. This appeared to help the problem, but the solution turned out to be a temporary one. When the problem returned, I was so frustrated; I ignored it for about a year until the problem became so bad the car would not hold the idle. The idle would bounce around 200rpm and then drop to 0rpm at a stop, unless I held the gas down.

Turns out, the air filter box, which is made from cut, pressed, and tac-welded sheet metal was slowly cutting into one of the vacuum lines that run right beneath the air filter.

I came to the conclusion that the vacuum advance system began to loss vacuum, which caused fuel mixture problems, which then caused the car to belch out soot, which clogged the EGR Valve.

I replaced the line and cleaned the EGR Valve, and never had to clean it again.

1997 Accord V6 (C27A 2.7L SOHC PGM-Fi 24 valves):

It would hesitate at start-up, but would straighten itself out; not before causing a Check Engine Indicator Light to come on. The code was for bad flow in the EGR Valve. So I took it to Honda (since the Warranty for all 1997 Accord V6 was extended to 150k by Honda of America), and they opened the EGR Valve and blasted it with compressed air and closed it up. Since this was a sporadic problem, it took some time before the symptoms returned.

I have come to the conclusion that this problem only occurs if three conditions occur. 1) Not driving my car daily with 2) extended periods of humid whether with 3) occasional drops in barometric pressure. I believe this scenario allows water to condense inside the intake manifold. I believe water or extremely humid air in the intake manifold causes the motor to belch out soot and clog the EGR Valve.

I make sure to crank the car up if it sits for more than 2 days, and especially if it has been raining, so far so good.

Think of what is clogging the EGR Valve. Is it full of soot? Then where did the soot come from? Is the soot generation a gas problem? Or is it the way the 1991 PGM-Fi is burning it? What does your OBD-I diagnostic say? How is your fuel mixture? Is your fuel being burned completely the first pass? Your EGR Valve is supposed to help with intake temperature regulation and to channel unburnt fuel back into the combustion chamber. Remember a multitude of octane mixtures are used to obtain the retail octane rating (that M+S Method thing).

Let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I have a 93 EX thats doing kinda the same thing. When Im accelerating gradually it will buck and hesitate throughout the RPM's, but if I gun it it will accelerate fine. Ive just changed spark plugs, wires, cleaned EGR valve. Had oil on two plugs so replaced valve cover gasket, and seals for plugs. Also fuel filter, and`ran some cleaner through system. Ive been searching for answers. Im gonna get into that box that has the MAF in it and clean that next. Maybe get a diff EGR valve when I can get to the pick and pull. Can you tell me if youve fixed yours, anyone else want to pipe up, go ahead pleeeaase

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you are accelerating and your vehicle is sputtering, it is usually a misfire in the engine. Meaning one of your spark plugs or wires is malfunctioning. A simple tune up will fix this problem. Sputtering caused by a misfire is usually accompanied by a jerking of the vehicle when Idle. IF you are at a stop sign and you let go of the brakes, your vehicle will start jerking forward on its own without pressing the gas. try a tune up.

REGARDS

________________________________________________________________________________

JOHN

Archived