Idling

hondagangsta177

I just got an 85 honda CRX and when I drive it the rpms are fine but when I am stopped or not moving it idles up and down and is very annoying. The guy I bought it from said at first it was something to do with the throttle sensor but when i went to advanced auto they said the computer didn't even list throttle sensors. Then I went back to the guy and he wasn't too sure what it was and how to fix it. I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how that idling up and down can be fixed. 8)

The engine is Fuel Injected, I am sure because it says it right on the engine. I asked the guy specifically if he had done an engine swap but he said as far as he knows it was the original engine. Now I did hear that 85 honda crx's didn't have FI engines which confuses me because this car is an 85. I looked right on the engine and there is a Fuel Injection system with the words right on it. Wierd. Thanks for the replies. 8)

try when its warm holding the idle up 100-300 rpms above normal, if it doesnt do it you have a vacuum leak some wheres, if it still doest it, it is your IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) let us no and i or someone else will tell you how to take it off and clean it or replace it, Good Luck, Should be an easy fix although a new iacv cost around 50-100$ :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that 85 Honda CRX's were made with FI engines, so I think the IACValve is the thing that I am going to replace or check on my Honda CRX. I gotta get it inspected because I live in WV and that really sucks ass. I have to fix some holes and stuff but im gonna do the least i have to because I'm broke.

Well I went to a Junkyard and got the whole throttle body unit with the intake and I am probably going to replace it. The IAC sensor is on the top of the engine in an 85-86 honda CRX and it is relatively easy to get to. You can get it off in about an hour. But I know for sure that my CRX is idling up and down is caused by the idle air control sensor. You can take out the TCP unit plug and it will still run if your idling is going up and down but its better to maybe replace it. The throttle control sensor I priced new at $100 at Auto Zone.

• 2 months later...

changed the whole throttle body and still does the same crap. Idles up and down but less. when it warms up it doesn't race like it used to because it only races when it it cold. I'm selling the car because I got a 90 Toyota Celica in alot better condition. Putting a $1200 sound system in my Celica... Hellll yeah! I'm gonna show off like crazy now

under the throttle body , theres 2 screws holding a cover over the FITV. take that cover off , and under it youl find a white plastic screw , retighten that plastic screw.

Archived