Should I keep the Prelude or...

Col

I'm still not 100% sure about the Prelude. It's running a lot better than when I got it, especially when the outside temperature is not so cold. However, there is always something wrong with it. Now it's pulling a lot on both acceleration and braking. Both myself and my mechanic think it could be sticky calipers, but what if I need new pistons? New rack? When that's working, I bet I'll want better springs. etc. Alternatively I could combine these expenses and trade the car for one that is in better shape. What do you think of the following options (or could you add other suggestions)?

1 - Fix the Prelude up until it feels straight and tight. I wouldn't hesitate if the part were cheaper, but everything so far has cost stupid amounts of money.

2 - 2002 Civic SiR (Si in US?) - not quite as fast, but smoother acceleration (more low end pull but less VTEC kick - something I may prefer) and can be thrown around like there's no tomorrow (the dealer encouraged me to try!!!). Same engine as RSX, but unfortunately the pocket-rocket versions (Type S and JDM K20A2) are not available in North America. I wouldn't hesitate to chose this if it had the performance engine in, but although it doesn't feel quick it was fun to drive.

3 - 2004 Mazda 3 (2.3) - quicker than SiR, sporty handling but feels more like a family Sedan than a toy to me. I have only driven the auto and it didn't really feel like it wanted to be thrown around - but my sister-in-law has one and swears that it is more fun than my old Mustang GT. Saying that, the 'Stang didn't like corners at all.

4 - 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V - nice torque! Feels heavy, but apparently fun at speed (dealer wouldn't let me mess around, but a friend also has one). My friend however tells me of constant CEL lights and minor problems, but it's also cheaper to buy. I have never seen a high mileage model for sale though, which puts me off a little in case they don't last long.

What year and motor is your lude? I would choose option 1 or 4. Options 2 and 3 suck

The Prelude is 98 base (H22A4) with about 90k miles on the clock. It definitely needs a couple of tyres, front brake calipers and most likely shocks. It has movement in the front that is NOT tracking, ball joints or control arms - could be sticky calipers or worst case steering rack. It does NOT brake in a straight line, nor is it consistent with which side it pulls to. Gentle braking around long fast bends really upsets the stability. I haven't found a decent mechanic who can give me a definitive analysis of what is needed, and I am reluctant to throw out large sums of money when results are not guaranteed. It also burns a lot of oil, but there are no speed issues (except when it's cold outside), no smoke or water from the exhaust and I don't think the plugs are fouling up.

I am curious by your answers. I undertand about the Mazda - I have a Protege as well. Easy car to drive and never any problems, but it's boring. The 2.3 struck me as fast but boring. You like the Sentra? No one has ever expressed any thoughts about it to me, not even the dealer or my friend who has one - what do you like about it?

But you don't like the SiR with the K20A3? It's almost as quick as the Prelude and handles well (I can't make a fair comparison with my Prelude). I would like to hear why you don't like this, as the only thing I held against it was that it was slow compared to foreign cars in this class. I don't really want a Golf GTi, but are there any other "pocket rockets" available in the US market?

What year and motor is your lude? I would choose option 1 or 4. Options 2 and 3 suck

I just took my friend's Sentra for a spin. I think you are winding me up :)

I knew this day would come...

Inevitably, I will eventually get a BMW 330. Unfortunately once I can afford one I am going to be too old to enjoy it.

I think I have been unlucky with this car Kastigir. I did everything right, mechanic checks, car fax etc, but it just seems to have too much wrong with it. I don't want to lose it because I don't like it, but because I don't think it's financially viable to keep it. I am not sure that the SiR I am looking at is that much of a different machine, just newer and a little more nimble on cornering. It's still not quick. The kind of cars I actually like are either too expesive or not available on the USDM.

K20A3 is IMO teh suxorz. I dont like mazda too much, except for the Miata. You have to love those things. SER Spec V's are just cool.

I don't get why they didn't ship the K20A or A2 over. The A3 just doesn't seem powerful enough for the car...

Edit: Actually, I hear you about the Miata. I have always heard that it's a fun car to drive. I think I'll go and spin the wheels on one this lunch break (if they let me - it's snowing again).

I have just been offered an immaculate 2001 Celica GT with less than 40k miles on it. What do you think about those Dan? If it had ABS and a sunroof I would have bought it yesterday because it feels like new.

Cranny - I am guessing by your knowledge that you work with cars. How does the Toyota compare with Honda for reliabilty and cost of maintenance? Currently I thinking about the 2001 Celica GT or the 2002 Civic SiR. The Civic is from Ontario (humid cold, lots of road salt), the Celica from Alberta (dry cold, no salt).

those celicas are sweet. not sure what they are like as far as modding, but i like the looks

I am tempted. If I was buying new the SiR would be my preferred car, but this particular Celica... when I drove it last night I thought it had been detailed and inspected. Turns out that the car hadn't been touched at all, and it still drove like a new car! There's not much between the two cars on performance. The SiR has all the bells and whistles, whilst the Celica lacks ABS and a sunroof but feels new. The clincher may be the cost of the Celica - I cannot find another at the same price and mileage in the whole of Canda Autotrader.

the celica gt has a whopping 140hp. i'd look for a gts, those have 180

I know, but it matches the 160hp SiR on performance and isn't that far behind the 195hp or whatever Prelude. I looked at the GTS, but it's going to cost me an extra C$7k which I don't have for one in the same condition. The GT was still a pleasure to drive when I took it out for a test. I prefer the SiR, but I can't find a local one for a good price.

The GT has about 40k miles. I'm getting it for about US$12.5k. I know that they are cheaper in the US, but cars in Alberta tend to be more expensive than the rest of North America. I searched for GT's in Autotrader.ca and the cheaper ones have all hit over 65K miles - they are also located on the east coast where cars can rust a lot quicker (humidity and salt). It's dry here and they just chuck stones on the road for grit (no rust problem, but a lot of cars with crack windshields!).

Archived