Blown Subs??

92civicEX

A few days ago, I start up my car and realize my left sub isn't working. I take it home and open it up and realize that the wire that runs from the metal plate (with the terminals you connect the wires from the box to) to the actual cone on my sub had come un-saudered. So I re-saudered it, and hooked everything back up again. After doing this, now BOTH my right and left subs would work, but just put out a really crappy sounding bump everytime the bass was supposed to go.

I figured they they might have blown, but here's the catch. When I adjust the balance on my deck all the way to the left, the left sub will thump as good and loud as it used to and vice-versa with the right. However, when I put the balance in the middle, both subs sound like crap. What could be going on here? I would think that if they were blown, I couldnt get any good sound out of them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated at this point.

Thanks, Chris

it almost sounds like they are underpowered, like when you put all the power to one sub, it works fine, but when you distribute the power to both its not enough. sounds weird though cuz i'm assuming they were fine before this happened. i dunno what to say

it almost sounds like they are underpowered, like when you put all the power to one sub, it works fine, but when you distribute the power to both its not enough. sounds weird though cuz i'm assuming they were fine before this happened. i dunno what to say

Yeah man, I'm really confused. The setup I have worked great for me until a few days ago. The only recent change that I can think of is about a week ago, my brother tweaked with the settings on my amps (I have two different, two channel amps). Apparantly all he did was turn up the High and Low Output levels.

Well, I have two amps (both 2 channel). One (450w pyramid) I was using for my subs, and the other (150w alipine) for my rear speakers. I switched the subs to the 150w and the speakers to the 450w, but they acted the same... just a little quiter. Speakers still worked, subs still sounded like crap haha.

I appreciate the help though, I'm trying to brainstorm this and so far have nothing.

make sure you have the subs wired correctly.... you would know if you blew your amp. it smells really bad. if you blew your voice coil on the sub it would make a crackeling noise for awhile until it finaly gives out. some amps i.e. your pyramid amp may not be 2 ohm or 1 ohm stable (depending on what kind of VC you have). check what power you want to be running to them on the amp manual (i.e. what it puts out at a certain resistance). for example if you have (2) DVC 4 ohm subs you can wire them in 4 ohm or 1 ohm (series or parallel). you can go to rockford fosgates website and make sure that you have the correct wiring scheme.

make sure you have the subs wired correctly.... you would know if you blew your amp. it smells really bad. if you blew your voice coil on the sub it would make a crackeling noise for awhile until it finaly gives out. some amps i.e. your pyramid amp may not be 2 ohm or 1 ohm stable (depending on what kind of VC you have). check what power you want to be running to them on the amp manual (i.e. what it puts out at a certain resistance). for example if you have (2) DVC 4 ohm subs you can wire them in 4 ohm or 1 ohm (series or parallel). you can go to rockford fosgates website and make sure that you have the correct wiring scheme.

Well, I'm going to need to research this a little more because as of right now I'm really not sure what any of that means. However, if I can switch the output to say 1 ohm instead of 4 ohm, would I still be able to salvage my system? Just trying to understand if it's a problem that can be fixed, or if i will need to buy new subs. Thanks for the help.

Well, I'm going to need to research this a little more because as of right now I'm really not sure what any of that means. However, if I can switch the output to say 1 ohm instead of 4 ohm, would I still be able to salvage my system? Just trying to understand if it's a problem that can be fixed, or if i will need to buy new subs. Thanks for the help.

What kind of box? Sounds like the subs are hitting against each other. Center section of box could be leaking air between subs. If in a bandpass box you have to swap polarity backwards on one sub or they will bump against each other and sound good with one going or like crap with both. If speakers are blown, consider some Kicker comp vr's/CVR's. I got a pair of CVR 10"s in a bandpass. They put my old RF punch DVC's and JBL's to shame. With a cheap 2ohm stereo stable 1000watt lanzar amp pushing both 4-ohm voice coils of each speaker on 2ohm loads to each channel they put 193db's out of the hatch of my 98CX.

What kind of box? Sounds like the subs are hitting against each other. Center section of box could be leaking air between subs. If in a bandpass box you have to swap polarity backwards on one sub or they will bump against each other and sound good with one going or like crap with both. If speakers are blown, consider some Kicker comp vr's/CVR's. I got a pair of CVR 10"s in a bandpass. They put my old RF punch DVC's and JBL's to shame. With a cheap 2ohm stereo stable 1000watt lanzar amp pushing both 4-ohm voice coils of each speaker on 2ohm loads to each channel they put 193db's out of the hatch of my 98CX.

I actually have one box for each sub. I could try swapping polarity in one.. but I just don't get it because they had been working fine for like 7 months the way I had them, and the only thing thats different is amp settings. Could changing the amp settings have been the problem?

I actually have one box for each sub. I could try swapping polarity in one.. but I just don't get it because they had been working fine for like 7 months the way I had them, and the only thing thats different is amp settings. Could changing the amp settings have been the problem?

could be. Try adjusting it yourself. All there should be is Level,Adj. for high pass crossover(unused with subs),Adjustment for low pass crossover(main object here), and possibly phase adj. and bass boost(adjust phase if it has it to sound right with your particular brand/set of speakers) Make sure Low/Full/High switch is on low. If that doesn't work you need some subs.

could be. Try adjusting it yourself. All there should be is Level,Adj. for high pass crossover(unused with subs),Adjustment for low pass crossover(main object here), and possibly phase adj. and bass boost(adjust phase if it has it to sound right with your particular brand/set of speakers) Make sure Low/Full/High switch is on low. If that doesn't work you need some subs.

I swapped polarity on only one of the boxes, and that did the trick. Thank you very much for the help... I'm so glad I have them up and thumping again! :thumbsup:

Archived