91 accord lx antenna won't work!!!

motophreaker

I have a 1991 honda accord lx (4-dr if it may matter). Ever since i bought the car i noticed that the antenna will not go down after i turn it off. it stays up. I have a friend that had a car that their antenna stoped working and they said they didn't care if it went up or down, until they went to the store. when they came back out they seen some kid plying with it as a sword. LOL :laugh:

I really don't want to loose my antenna.. is there anybody that knows of a solution? I don't want to have to buy a new one. I thought that it could be a fuse but i don't know what fuse to check.... :(

Some one already said that it could be the motor...?!?!?! (where ever that would be since i checked in the trunk.) :crazy:

Thanks in advance for the consideration!

same thing happened to my friends 94 accord and it was the motor. he got a new one for like 50 bucks or something, not sure exactly. youre gonna have to pull the carpet back and look, but its there

Happened to my dads toyota a while ago.. when you turn off the radio you can hear the motor trying to put it down but it doesn't go down. Could be that the gear to actually put the antena down came off the gear to the motor.. thats my guess as to my dads but we didn't bother to do anything to his.

i had a car come into my shop with this problem 9 times outa 10 its usually the motor have somebody cycle the key off and on while you listen in the trunk for the motorif you dont here it then the motors bad. if its not the motor chech the antenna for any major noticable damage i.e. dings and dents as these will cause it to not retract. you can probably find a motor for around 30 or 40 bucks at the junkyard.

Did it magically fly away ??? Or are you commenting on it being stolen/broken off?

you can get a removable antenna from your Honda dealer... we do it all the time...

get a non-power one (i.e. the screw on/off kind)....you just cant go non-power to power

• 1 month later...
I have a 1991 honda accord lx (4-dr if it may matter). Ever since i bought the car i noticed that the antenna will not go down after i turn it off. it stays up. I have a friend that had a car that their antenna stoped working and they said they didn't care if it went up or down, until they went to the store. when they came back out they seen some kid plying with it as a sword. LOL :laugh:

I really don't want to loose my antenna.. is there anybody that knows of a solution? I don't want to have to buy a new one. I thought that it could be a fuse but i don't know what fuse to check.... :(

Some one already said that it could be the motor...?!?!?! (where ever that would be since i checked in the trunk.) :crazy:

Thanks in advance for the consideration!

Five years ago mine on 93 EX got stuck in the up position. I could hear the motor trying to do it's thing whenever the car, or stereo was shut off, so I knew the motor was working. I went to Honda and purchased a new mast, installed it and it has worked perfectly ever since. This is a diy job if you're handy at all. When you remove the old mast, be sure to not damage the waterproof seal. As I recall Honda was nice enough to NOT include a new one of those in with the new mast. That new mast cost me about $50 at the Honda counter at that time.

Archived