Knocking under hood

Kicksome123

Dude drain all the oil and then pull the oil pan. You'll be able to see the rod bearings and rods. check to make sure there is no play in the bearings and then turn the crankshaft. If you've got bad bearings you'll know after you turn it.

okay, it this does happen if I have play in the bearings, im gunna have to put hte bottom end of the D15A3 on there until I get it fixed... now there is this crank angle sensor that im worried about that someone told me about might and might not work with the head of the D16Y8, I need to know so I can get to work tommorow...

If you've got bad bearings you'll know after you turn it.

not necessarily... just turning it isn't going put those bearing under the stress your engine does during combustion. so if it is bad yes, if it is just starting, then no.

if you do drop the pan, and remove rod caps, and look for scoring/burning on the crank journal.

dont take it apart. from my experience , hondas bottom ends dont go on the norm. on a stock car that hasnt been beaten , i dont think your bottom end is going. its not impossible , just not probable. check your engine mounts , maybe they are very worn. check valve lash. how did this start? , when did you notice? explain the story?

dont take it apart. from my experience , hondas bottom ends dont go on the norm. on a stock car that hasnt been beaten , i dont think your bottom end is going. its not impossible , just not probable. check your engine mounts , maybe they are very worn. check valve lash. how did this start? , when did you notice? explain the story?

Okay from what the mechanic says it sounds like I got play in the crankshaft, thanks pyro. I hardly ever beat on the engine the previous owners must have or something, it came with intake and exhaust and the last owner prolly beat on it so whatever, im not paying for the fix so im happy... To bad that I couldnt fix it myself(some people around my house dont trust me...) But thanks for all yalls help

if its a bottom end knock , than its really not a hard fix. whip oil pan off , undo rod bolts , throw some new bearings in. as long as the crank is not scored , your good to go. clean out oil holes as best as you can as well. DO NOT RUN THE CAR TILL ITS FIXED.

if its a bottom end knock , than its really not a hard fix. whip oil pan off , undo rod bolts , throw some new bearings in. as long as the crank is not scored , your good to go. clean out oil holes as best as you can as well. DO NOT RUN THE CAR TILL ITS FIXED.

most if not all engine manufacturers say to replace oil cooler if you have a bearing failure. Don't you think that there should be a reason for the failure tho?

if its not the bottom end ticking or knocking then its the top end and your valves need to be adjusted, my motor does the same exact thing, mine is quiet loud actually and its very annoying when idleing..all hondas do it just some not as bad. sounds to me its ur valves that need to be adjusted.

most if not all engine manufacturers say to replace oil cooler if you have a bearing failure. Don't you think that there should be a reason for the failure tho?

well this i can tell you pyro , the oil pumps in a Y8 dont have the volume the Z6 pumps do. the Y8 simply doesnt deliver oil as well as the older models. id say oil is the reason one way or another pyro , hands down.

I have a knocking sound comming from under the hood, I know it has just about nothing to do with the engine because the engine still performs fine.... its just when I accelerate it does it, with regular throttle it starts around 3500 rpms and continues. I think its a bar or something that is rattleing against the engine. Im getting out tommorow and looking at it I just wanted some clues to maybe look for... I have a 99 ex if it helps any

I have had the heat shield on the exaust manifold come loose and it could sound like that. The bolts came loose just enough to annoy you at certain RPM's. I would check that 1st b4 I went to extreme engine dismantling! Its not that I dont trust shop mechanics, but, I would get a 2nd opinion. You wouldn't go get heart surgery just because 1 doctor told you it sounded like a bad heart valve would you? :D

Lets not automatically rule out valve tick (the DSM does it really bad but so does EVERY DSM damn hydraulic lifters). If it's the head then its a quick fix and you won't need to worry. If your crank is walking you might just have to replace bearings or if its really bad you might score the crank and then you'd need a new one. Maybe you will luck out and it will be the valves.

Lets not automatically rule out valve tick (the DSM does it really bad but so does EVERY DSM damn hydraulic lifters). If it's the head then its a quick fix and you won't need to worry. If your crank is walking you might just have to replace bearings or if its really bad you might score the crank and then you'd need a new one. Maybe you will luck out and it will be the valves.

Dude... the point of hydraulic lifters is so you don't have to adjust anything. they take up any slack in your valvetrain. they make less noise than solid lifters do too.

Archived