Power Steering Issue

Col

Another problem with my car 8)

I noticed that the steering really stiffens up if I accelerate hard and turn at the same time, for example, pulling out quickly from behind a parked car. Honda didn't know what would cause that. I had a play around today and it's simple to replicate - the steering assist becomes less effective at higher revs, and can be tried whilst stopped in neutral.

Does anyone have an idea about what might cause this? Can someone else with a 5th Gen try to see if theirs does the same?

Cheers, Col.

It's called torque steer. Happens to all FWD cars.

Even when stationary in neutral? You'll have to explain that one to me...

Edit: I'd like to know if anyone else has the same effect in their 5th Gen - it's good to know if this is a characteristic of the car or if I have a problem to be aware of (e.g. could be the PS pump).

• 2 weeks later...
Yes its like this on all 5th gen Preludes and most other cars at that. :chair:

I'm still not convinced. Here's the scenario that made me notice the problem in the first place: I'm in traffic, and there's something blocking my lane. I want to pull out but the other lane is moving considerably faster, so I have to wait for a suitable gap to accelerate into. I see the gap, get rolling then floor it in first to slot in - turning hard out of my lane and hard the other way to straighten up. However the steering stiffens up so much that it almost locks, making the turn back in extremely difficult. My reaction is to come off the gas (or change up), then it loosens. It doesn't matter which way I turn first.

I doubt that Honda would invent what is almost a sports car then put a steering system on it that locks with high acceleration (not just high revs). There has to be something wrong. I have never driven a car that comes close. Seriously Chubs, can you replicate the above? It has to be foot to the floor in 1st and it locks at around 5.5k until you let off. I'd like to hear that yours does it as well, but I do not think you will replicate the same feeling.

Edit: You say "most other cars" - I have had a few FWD cars, none of which have done this. My Protege doesn't do it. Torque steer may be normal, but not to this extent imho.

Torque steer is normal. The more HP/TQ, the more noticeable it is.

Okay, read this carefully - I KNOW WHAT TORQUE STEER IS, I HAVE DRIVEN MANY CARS OVER A PERIOD OF 15 YEARS. I doubt TS would almost lock the steering. If you don't know what might exagerate this, you don't need to answer.

Okay, read this carefully - I KNOW WHAT TORQUE STEER IS, I HAVE DRIVEN MANY CARS OVER A PERIOD OF 15 YEARS. I doubt TS would almost lock the steering. If you don't know what might exagerate this, you don't need to answer.

OK READ THIS. I CAN USE CAPS LOCK TO LOOK COOL TO. If you don't want to listen to both myself and Chubs, who've said this is normal, then perhaps this forum isn't the place for you. And yes, severe torque steer would make it *seem* as if the steering were locked.

OK READ THIS. I CAN USE CAPS LOCK TO LOOK COOL TO. If you don't want to listen to both myself and Chubs, who've said this is normal, then perhaps this forum isn't the place for you. And yes, severe torque steer would make it *seem* as if the steering were locked.

Some people simply cannot be told anything.

If you don't want to listen to both myself and Chubs, who've said this is normal, then perhaps this forum isn't the place for you. And yes, severe torque steer would make it *seem* as if the steering were locked.

Chubs knows what torque steer is and suggests that it common on 5th gens. He's young right? It's easy to jump to the conclusion that the answer is simple, I would have done the same at 18. My response to him is to ask if he can replicate the same effect that I am getting. I know that he doesn't BS so if he takes the time to try what I suggested and get back to me then I would respect his answer. Like me he also has a '98, so his answer means more to me than those from people who don't know the car.

Listening to you though Kastigir... you do not always give good advice, you are often narrow minded (i.e. don't really think about alternatives) and are certainly do not give quality answers like some people on this forum. Not listening to you doesn't mean that I shouldn't be in this forum. I have recently tried a 2005 Civic Si, a MazdaSpeed6, a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V and my own 2.0 Protege, none of which even come even 20% close to the effect I am getting. It is entirely possible that I have a problem with my car, and although I might need correcting by someone like Chubs I don't need to have a Talon driver to tell me how my Prelude should behave.

Look, every post you make about this car just screams, "I don't like it". Sell the damn thing...save us some trouble. Apparently Chubs doesn't want to help you. He's been through the forum, and didn't feel it worthy of a response.

Look, every post you make about this car just screams, "I don't like it". Sell the damn thing...save us some trouble. Apparently Chubs doesn't want to help you. He's been through the forum, and didn't feel it worthy of a response.

Okay, enough beating about the bush here. I am not saying that I don't like the car, I am wondering if I have a problem with it. Chubs kind of gives me the impression that there is a problem. He says "Yes its like this on all 5th gen Preludes and most other cars at that.". If it should behave like "most other cars" then I have a problem because it doesn't - and I have driven a number of different FWD cars. It's not unreasonable to ask Chubs to clarify.

My local Honda mechanic drove it and said he didn't think it was normal. He wasn't sure what would cause that to happen because he hadn't seen one like that before. All I am asking is if anyone knows what could cause this. If you don't know Kastigir, that's fine, but I don't need you to jump on me because you don't have a concept of what is happening.

Archived